Cactus Flowers - Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an older photo that I just rediscovered when I found some lost archives on an external hard drive I misplaced when we moved. The Huntington Library and Gardens is an amazing place. One of their key collections is 13 acres of desert plants. Not only do the cacti thrive, but the hummingbirds take full advantage of it during their Spring migration north.

Specific Feedback

Believe it or not, I lightened this whole image, with special focus on the cactus blossoms. I intentionally left the BG darker to mask some of the leaf litter in the cactus plants from trees overhead. I tried to get a good DOF due to the size of cactus flowers, so it kept a good portion of the BG in soft focus as well. Does the BG detract a lot from the image. I think having the cactus plants recognizable but dark helps in the composition. What do you think? Thanks for any recommendations and candid reviews. I’m not sure what would happen with flash or fill light.

Technical Details

Canon 5D MIII, f16, 1/320 sec, iso 400, -1.3 exp bias, 310 mm of a 100-400 lens.

I find the perspective very interesting here, how the petals seem flattened at the rear of the bloom - I think it gives the shot real character. I like how the focus too recedes into the BG, and the exposure is fine. I’d only suggest cloning out the small pale leaves along the two vertical borders in the foreground, one on either side. What a great flower!

1 Like

I think the dark background works well, even though we would normally expect bright light on a cactus. This image is all about the bloom and the body of the plant is almost irrelevant . Your depth of field works well for my taste.

Thank you very much @Dennis_Plank and @Mike_Friel. For you Mike, I cloned out a few of the bright little leaves on the cactus. Thank you for the suggestion. For a little bit of cleanup, I think it improved the overall appeal.

1 Like

Nice job on the repost, Ed. It improved an already fine image.

1 Like

A fine shot of a lovely flower. I’ve darkened the background of cactus photos for the same reasons.

Thank you @Don_Peters. The Huntington is an amazing place for cactus blossoms in season.

The darkened BG works very well for isolating these ephemeral flowers. Repost is excellent you effectively reduced the distracting elements in the comp. Very nice…Jim

1 Like

Thank you @Jim_Zablotny.

Ed: I must have gone brain dead to forget to comment on this. Spectacularly beautiful flower superbly captured. The repost is a nice improvement on an already fine image. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Thank you sir. @Bill_Fach