Cairn Holy

Came across this, the remains of a Chambered Tomb called Cairn Holy, at the end of the day during a drive round Galloway. I had never heard of this before but it seemed to have a kind of peace about it. Built around 4500 years ago it would have originally been covered.
Moon really was there hence the lack of separation on the left.
As always criticism gratefully received

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I can’t believe this image hasn’t gotten any comments yet. It’s very graphic, dramatic and moody, I love it. I really like the placement of the three cairns relative to each other, I think it works very well. Normally I don’t like mergers of primary elements, but the merger of the two cairns to the left does work for me here. I also think that having the diagonal clouds make this image work much better than just having sky alone, your were fortunate to have them here. Even though the land is in shadow, I like having the stronger color and contrast in the land, i think it adds to the mood.

My only suggestion would be to crop from the top, about halfway between the frame edge and moon. It’s a matter of personal taste, but i think it would make the moon more prominent in the image. That’s a nitpick though, overall this image is very well done. :+1: :+1:

Hi Ed Thanks for those kind words. I was trying to create an impression of the calm and the sense of time I felt standing there imagining people at a burial ceremony 4500 years ago.
Yes I think your suggestion is good a bit off the top does give the moon more prominence so have done that, just a pity it wasn’t full!!