California Gold

Might as well beat the natives to it. My wife and the local bumblebees both love this flower, so we have a couple of 8x8 beds of it and just weed it out where we don’t want it. I’ve been eyeing it since I saw this challenge and decided a “cram” might produce a decent image.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m unsure about the redder area in the upper right.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
5DIII, EF180, f3.5 Macro, hand held, f/3.5, 1/5000, iso 800, aperture priority. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 15.8 MP to avoid a partial bloom on the right. Other than that just minor adjustments. I did use the healing brush in a couple of small whitish patches.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Dennis,

Oh My. Back in my early 35mm film days the CA Poppy was a favorite subject. I never created anything this magical. Makes me want to go out and get me a proper macro lens for the dslr.

No nits or suggestions. What’s to improve! Perfect choice for the WC.

Lon

Very nice one, Dennis. Really enjoying the softness & calming effect of this poppy image…:+1:

The golden glow is wonderful, Dennis, with just enough of that one flower to make this very ethereal.

Minimalism at it’s best, Dennis. This has a softness to it that is very inviting with just enough of the flower present that the viewer knows what they are viewing. I could see trying to remove a little of the red in the URC to bring the tones a little closer to the yellows, but it certainly is not a deal breaker as this is lovely as is.

I don’t think words can describe my feeling here. This screams a big print.

Beautiful, Dennis!!! Great high key abstract, very dreamy and surreal. Excellent image.

Dennis
Super cram! I love the single color aspect. Very nice.

Gorgeous image, Dennis! This would really light up a room! I love the smooth color transitions and the subtle but obvious primary subject. Good vision to see the opportunity and excellent follow through to create that vision.