California Poppy & Repost

Repost of the paper backing: (I wasn’t happy with it. I’d done some last minute global adjustments that should have been localized to the bloom and they screwed things up.)

California Poppy-paper background.

California Poppy-white background

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Just decided I needed to quit putting of some of the experiments I wanted to try with an old tablet as a light table. I shot this lying directly on the tablet screen and with a sheet of ordinary printer paper between to provide some texture, rather than adding it in software. The white background was actually a focus stack, though I don’t think I really needed it. The paper background was a single shot.

Specific Feedback

The images were processed differently and ended up looking to my eye, quite a bit different in colors and tones. I’d be interested in hearing preferences and any other comments you care to make.

Technical Details

All the frames that went into these were taken at iso 500, f/22, 0.6 sec, and 70 mm. Sony A7Riv, 70-200 f/4 Macro mounted on a tripod with an invertible center column. 10 sec timer for stability (I really need to find my remote release). Processing in LR & PS CC. Canvas added around the edges for composition in both images. Helicon Focus for stacking.

2 Likes

Glad you decided to give it a go rather than just think about it more. These are subtly different and mostly its in the light diffusion the paper brings to the equation. There is a more subdued aspect to that one and less contrast. The colors appear warmer as well and it feels more like a botanical drawing than the second which is flatbed scannery if you know what I mean. The depth in them is reduced by the background and reminds me of the work another member did in the field with light boxes and multiple flashes. Pity he just disappeared.

Anyway…nicely done and well worth the effort.

These look really good Dennis. The difference between the two is subtle but I’s really nice to see the differences. I’m sure everyone will have a different preference and I personally like the one with the paper background.

Hi Dennis,

Photo’s 2 and 3 are my faves in the series. These photos are perfect for graphic artistic display. Comps are simple with subject contrasting to the high key or light brown paper BG. I like this style of photography as it brings mre back to the days when I did lots of scientific illustrations for the scientific community at Michigan State University. Well done…Jim

Hi Dennis, this series is lovely! IMHO, I actually prefer image #3, with the white background. That background appears to give the plant more dimensionality. The second one, on the “paper background,” feels a little flat to me, and the greens appear to have a yellow cast. The texture in #1 sort of detracts from the beauty of the plant. Nice job experimenting! And thanks for sharing this series.

Yes, the flower is more alive in #3, but I prefer the foliage in #1. Would be easy to give the flower in #1 more contrast/texture. (The color will make it easy to select.) I don’t mind the BG texture.