California Redwoods

Stout Grove, Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, California, USA

Stumbled across this scene in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in 2010. Didn’t even have to work very hard for a decent composition. It composed itself. This was early in the morning, and I believe there was an overcast that kept everything even. A Polarizer also helps with the saturation.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1Ds III, EF 24mm Tilt/Shift, 20 seconds @ f/16, ISO 100, Polarizer. Processed in Capture One.

This is so interesting to me David as I was about to post an almost identical image that I took a couple of months ago from a perspective about 10 feet to the left of this shot…I think. Is the tree on the right the big tree that has a walk going up to a wooden platform just off to the right edge of your shot?
At any rate, terrific capture. It looks like it was raining giving the scene another layer of richness an depth. Colors look good to me. I like your composition. The downed log in the foreground provides a lot of visual interest. 11 years ago? This has held up well. Well done.

Really nice scene that feels very primeval. I like the leading line of the fallen trunk as well as the ferns surrounding it. I also think you did a nice job with the colors so that they aren’t overdone (especially the greens).

1 Like

David, you should post your image. I would love to see it and compare. I can’t remember if there was a wooden platform around…maybe not 11 years ago. :slight_smile:

Stout Grove is a cool spot. I spent a evening and morning hanging around there. Really nice image of the redwoods, a fairly tough thing to pull off. No nits here

I’ve only been to Redwoods NP once, and was so impressed by the scale of the trees there, they are magnificent. But this is one of those redwoods images where the the foreground is more important and interesting than the trees themselves. The trees add to the story of place but in a supporting role. For me it’s the foreground that drives this image, and creates a sense of depth. The way the fallen tree bisects the clump of ferns just looks great…

And if you are going to have a patch of bright sky in the scene, at least it’s at the end of the path, so it works out well.

Stout Grove! Oh what a place. I took so many great shots there, but this one is outstanding. Perfect arrangement and balance. Makes me want to step right in.

I really like your composition. It’s definitely solid. That diagonal line vs the verticals is great. The ferns are perhaps even more central than the trees. And I really like the color of the ground. I think you can play with color casts and make this more striking. Perhaps warm it up. Perhaps push the greens more toward cyan. Perhaps cool it. I would experiment. The only real issue I see is how the tree on the far right merges with the one behind it. You could ‘fade’ the back one.

Very very nice, David. You pull this one off without fog and that should be commended. I just love the ferns in this area and you have included them and arranged them in a pleasing way.

Thanks all for the great comments, much appreciated. @Igor_Doncov, thanks for your suggestions. I will play around. :slight_smile:

Beautiful! I love how the ferns are isolated and the sprinkling of sorel. You have shown all we need to see of the trees to feel their immensity and power.

A little playing with color could be interesting, to see if it would tweak the mood.

This is excellent, David. The colors look very real and inviting while the layout is inviting me to go exploring.