Canada Jay

If not the cutest bird in the forest, certainly the friendliest. They seem to have little fear of humans, which leads to humans feeding them, which in turn leads them to have less fear. My wife held her arm out and several jays landed on her hand-obviously looking for food, but left disappointed.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 293 mm; 1/500 at f7.1, -2/3 EV; ISO 160; uncropped.

1 Like

Never heard or seen Canada Jay but I have seen a gray Jay. Looks like you had pretty harsh light but I think you pulled it off . Good detail and pose. The perch is wonderful. Sibley calls this a gray Jay . I think I can understand why it is called a Canada J because most of its habitat is north into Canada.

1 Like

Within the last year or two the governing body that determines names for birds and creates lumps and splits(Western Scrub Jay to California Scrub Jay and Woodhouse Scrub Jay, for instance) changed the name of the Gray Jay to Canada Jay. Now, of course, there seems to be a movement to get away from eponymous names to more descriptive ones; so maybe we’ll see it go back to Gray Jay.
Thanks for commenting, David, it’s appreciated.

Also called a Whiskey Jack in some places which is an anglicized version of the Cree peoples name for the bird. Nice to see it full frame and nice composition.

1 Like