Can't see the tree for the forest

After looking at so many stunning images in this challenge, I almost didn’t bother posting this, but I thought I’d try to take advantage of the brilliant compositional and processing minds I’ve seen displayed this week. I saw this Douglas Fir today and was fascinated by all the wonderful growth on it. This patch is probably about 8x12 inches. I know I have to go back and reshoot this, but I’d be interested in how others would approach the subject.

I’ve included a jpg straight from the raw file as well.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, hand held, f/8, 1/60, iso 1600. Processed in LR & PS CC. Reduced the magentas a lot, used a microcontrast boost, raised the whites a bit and increased saturation a small amount.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Dennis, this is an intriguing shot. While it’s clearly tree bark, at least for me, the bunches of moss get me thinking of tiny trees. I really like how close the color mimicry is between the bark and the moss. The bark crevices are scattered nicely throughout the frame. If the shape of the trunk will let you, I’d say get just a hair more space on the left. Keeping everything sharp may need a two or three shot stack.

Dennis,
First off good eye to see the potential in this intimate scene. I am thoroughly enjoying the textures and details of the moss along with the tree bark. I also like the color palette as it looks very natural to me. As far as suggestions I could see adding a little room to the right side so the upper moss was not quite so tight along the edge. I agree with @Mark_Seaver’s suggestion with taking two or three images for a stack to keep everything sharp. Looking forward to seeing what you come back with.

I love that you submitted this photo Dennis. Looking at all the detail in the bark and moss makes me wonder who else lives in that tiny world. Absolutely fascinating to me. I would think it would be fun to take a close-up/macro (stacked) and is who really does live there.