In the forest

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Does this comp work for you. It is a crop from a vertical that I thought was the right answer when I took the picture, but had too much stuff going on. I was really drawn to the contrast with the darker trees and the lush greens.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 5D Mark III
24-105 @ 50mm
.8 sec @ f/8, ISO 400

Thanks for your thoughts.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Magical! I wanna be there. Very cool shot.

Comp works for me ,Keith, a vertical presentatoin probably would work for me too. The very dynamic color combination sells the image and the great column trunk repetitions make a strong impact. Nicely done.

To me, the image feels a little off-balance with all the big trees off to the right. The light, colors and processing are all very nice. I love the overlapping of the green leaves on the center tree and the one to its right. It creates a nice depth.

1 Like

I love the luminous quality achieved by your processing in this image, those lush green leaves look wonderful. And I think you nailed the luminosity and shadow detail on the tree trunks too.

I think the composition works pretty well. I like how the green leaves lead the eye from left to right, and take you to the tree trunks. To me this is a nicely balanced composition. My only suggestion would be to clone away the dark branch in the lower left corner. It is only a distraction because it is so close and parallel to the left frame edge.

This works very nicely for me, Keith. The greens are lovely and have a wonderful lushness to them that reminds me of springtime. Your horizontal crop works well as do the details in the tree trunks. My only suggestion; just my personal preference; would be to clone out the small tree in the LLC because it is so close to the edge of the frame. Certainly not a deal breaker because this is lovely as is.

The comp works much better for me after cropping out the cutoff tree on the right. I might also play with blurring the big tree on the right (not sure if it would be better or not, but would be interesting to try). I really like the vibrant greens against the trunks.

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated. @Ed_McGuirk and @Ed_Lowe noted the treeing the LLC and @Harley_Goldman noted the tree on the top right. I’ve uploaded a second version in the original post that addresses those thoughts. Great input.

Great work on the greens here, nice and vibrant! They really shine against the dark trees. I was going to write about some small distractions at both vertical edges, but before I posted this your edit came up above my textbox. :joy: That looks much nicer!

The repost cleans up the composition nicely. Very well seen, Keith. I admire the minds that create good images that do not utilize fog to simplify a “messy” scene like this. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Keith,

Love this, and especially the minor adjustment on the respost; the tighter crop works wonders - in fact, I’m thinking the big trunk looks a little brighter and more defined? But not sure if any processing changes were made. Regardless, this works beautifully; nice balance (and contrast) between the tree trunks and vibrant greens.

Lon

I didn’t do any additional processing on the big trunk. Guess it could be an illusion caused by getting rid of the other distractions?