....the forest for the trees /with repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I tried for about an hour trying to pick something out with a 80-200 zoom to no avail. Just couldn’t “see” anything. Then I decided to step back with a wider lens, hence the title of the image.

Specific Feedback

Would like opinions on the bare trunk just to the right of center. Does it bother anyone. I know what my opinion is. I’m not a purist like I used to be and have no issue removing distracting elements. What is your opinion on the matter?

Technical Details

Nikon D200, 65 mm, 1.5 sec @ f/16, -0.67 ex comp, ISO 200

4 Likes

The tree does not bother me in the least, Mike. The pano format works beautifully to showcase this lovely array of autumn colors. I only have two very minor suggestions. The first is to crop or clone out the bright patch of sky just left of the URC and the second is to reduce the cyan just a little as the image seems to have a little color cast; at least to me. Beautiful fall capture!

Thanks @Ed_Lowe . I reposted with your suggestions.

I also don’t have any issue with that tree trunk. In fact I think it adds to the pattern of tree trunks nicely. I do agree with Ed about that bright spot in the top right. I’d be inclined to clone it out.

Edit: I now see that you’ve uploaded a second version where you addressed this so scratch that. A really great shot overall!

Ed, this is a great look at fall colors! That trunk fits very well in the scene and the pano format balances the vertical trunks with the horizontal leaves very well. Fixing the bright bit up top adds well. The issue of “seeing” lurks in the background at all times, which means that I rarely get prime shots without spending significant time looking and “feeling”.

I agree, but I would just simply burn that area a bit to make it less in your face. Beautiful image.

Beautiful image, Michael. That trunk is an integral element, in my opinion. I love the texture and the cool contrast it provides to the otherwise warm scene. Before reading Ed’s comment that bright patch caught my eye. I do like the cropped version but think it would also be worth it to try burning in that area a little bit. Really nice work!

That trunk doesn’t bother me at all. I love your rework, especially the way you adjusted the strong greens. Lovely!

An excellent image Michael. It’s like a tapestry that stretches from one end to the other. The verticals give it structure but it’s the group of brighter lime green leaves near the center that are the point of focus. What I like is that the point of focus is not THE POINT OF FOCUS but stands out slightly above the rest and the tapestry feeling is maintained. My one suggestion has to do with the magenta leaves. I would shift their colors towards red. Another words warm them up by adding yellow.

Thanks @Tom_Nevesely , @Mark_Seaver , @Matt_Payne , @Bret_Edge , @Bonnie_Lampley , @Igor_Doncov , for your thoughts and comments. Much appreciated.