A Riot Of Red

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this maple tree; all decked out with it’s best show of autumn color; while on our last trip to Blackwater Falls SP) in WV. I decided to crop this as a pano as that was where all the saturated fall color was located. I also like the way this tree branched out across the frame with the little splash of yellow color along the top edge.

Specific Feedback

All C&C welcome. Does the pano crop work for you?

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 97 mm, f 16 @ 1/10 sec, ISO 100, Kase magnetic CPL, cable release & tripod

This is a super interesting image. To your question regarding the crop, I think it’s just fine. What really stands out for me is the relative flatness of the image. We are all given the choice of how to deal with our relatively flat raw files. We almost always go toward more depth. But sometimes, less depth and a really flat effect is really interesting and works great. As I think it does here. Well done.

1 Like

That’s a charming mix of trunk and leaves; the contrast are working well for you.

I think the pano crop works fine. If you had a space where it fit better, a more traditional 3:2 ratio looks pretty good to me too.

To my eye it seems slightly too lime colored? You might play with adding a touch of violet (blue and magenta) and see if it makes it better/worse.

1 Like

Wonderful image Ed. I love the composition and the absence of depth. The tree branches seem to overlay the red leaves and that emphasizes the design. There seems to be a color cast here and I endjoy that very much. Everything has a warm hue to it. I like the panoramic view here although you could crop in from the right a bit. But I’m not sure that would make it any better. You could also experiment with the colors a bit but again I would have to do it to see if it makes it better or just different. Great job!

1 Like

WOW, I almost needed my welding goggles for this one, Ed. I mean RED is the main theme on this scene for sure. The pano decision looks like the perfect format too… :+1:

1 Like

Wow, what color! The reds and yellows of the leaves are gorgeous. The greenish yellow of the main trunks is interesting, but odd (to me). Maybe dial back the saturation on them a bit?

The pano crop works for me, although that far right, vertical tree sticks out a bit. I could see cropping off the right to eliminate that tree.

Here’s my thought (desaturated and brightened main trunks just a tad, cropped the right), but your original works as is, too:

1 Like

I was going to say Cool, but I guess Hot would be more appropriate! A wonderful find and fantastic composition! The reds are very well-handled – not always easy. I do think @Bonnie_Lampley has a good idea and the slight color tweak works well for the trunks.

1 Like

The pano crop works well, Ed. In fact, that’s what i did with mine. too much unattractive elements at the bottom of the frame, so cropped them off to focus on al the action. I like @Bonnie_Lampley rework. I know you like your images warm, but to my eye the tree trunks were a little too warm.

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone @Bill_Lathrop, @John_Williams, @Igor_Doncov, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Diane_Miller and @Michael_Lowe for your thoughtful C&C; always appreciated. I liked the pano format, but am glad others like it as well.

@Bonnie_Lampley: thanks for taking the time to do a rework. I like the tweaks you have made.

1 Like