Cape Arago Lighthouse and Waves

[Cape Arago Lighthouse and Waves]

Here is one of the three frames I started with:

From a recent trip to the Oregon coast. This was shot mid-day in terrible hazy sunlight. Due to time constraints I did not have time to come back later when the light was better. So I decided to use a ND filter to lengthen the exposure and create motion blur on the waves, but the ND filter lowered the contrast even further and created a slight color cast. I shot several frames, trying to get waves crashing on all of the rocks.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is this a keeper or try again when the conditions are better?

Technical Details

This is a composite of three frames, two frames for the waves and one for the sky. A Tiffen Variable ND filter used to lengthen the exposure and blur the waves. Nikon D850, Nikkor 70-200mm @95mm, ISO 31, f/16, 2.5 secs (all three frames). Processed in ACR and PS.

2 Likes

Hi Patrick. I really like the texture of the waves on the rocks and the contrast of the clouds above the forest. That said, I have to admit that I don’t really find myself drawn to the light in the image as presented, because of that hazy, flat light. However, this seems like it could be a good candidate for b&w treatment. Have you thought about playing around with that? If so, I’d also be inclined to crop out the lighthouse, honestly, as it is so small in the scene that it doesn’t really balance the stronger part of the composition on the right.

Just my completely subjective opinion, of course!

Hi Patrick. In most aspects, I agree with the comments of @jefflafrenierre, although you already squeezed a lot out of the original files .
If you want to keep the color in the image, you could try to increase contrast and saturation in the fir trees in the BG and maybe also in the rocks on which they stand. I did a quick and dirty try and attached it here. I also increased the contrast in the lighthouse a little, to make it stand out a bit more.
Is this a keeper? I think that you’re the only one to decide :wink: We only comment, but it is YOUR image.

@jefflafrenierre @Han_Schutten, thank you for your comments! I did a quick conversion to B&W and cropped out the lighthouse. I hope to get back down to that location before too long and try again.

1 Like

Patrick, most definitely a keeper! Some times we just have to take what the conditions give us - and I think you’ve maximized what you could have done - especially given the RAW example you provided. Well done!

I also like your choice going with ND and letting the water/waves smooth out a bit. Really like the effect of the waves crashing in to the rocks.

This also has a nice balance between the cool and warm tones. The inclusion of the lighthouse is a positive to the image as well, despite being a bit close to the edge. But if the spit of land was going to be included - it’s best that it had the lighthouse!

thanks for sharing!

@Lon_Overacker Thanks for your comments! The lighthouse is a local icon, even though it is small.