Cape Fuchsia (Phygelius X Rectus var. Devil's Tears)

Description: This is a different photo that resulted from a 25 image stack and shows some fairly nice detail. This is a much simpler composition than the earlier posted version. Unfortunately, there were a few aphids that had to eradicated in photoshop as they slowly walked over the plant producing ghost images from stacking. Motivation for this image was provided from critiques of my earlier post.

Specific Feedback Requested: Comp OK?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D850 105 f2.8 Micro (1/20 sec. at f8, ISO 64 + 4 flashes set at verious power settings for lighting); 25 image stack Pmax, Levels, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, Rubber stamp tool for aphids and extending stem on LH side, Crop for Compā€¦Jim

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been missing your floral posts, Jim. This is really quite nice. Youā€™re inspiring me to play around with this type of photography.

1 Like

Iā€™ll echo that!! I missed your previous one (been too distracted by software/hardware issues) and will look for it. But I think this one is astonishing! The lovely soft tonalities on the flowers give them an intriguing 3D feel and the stacking is wonderful! I find my attention pulled a bit by the stem and wonder about some darkening and/or desaturation for it. But thatā€™s a small nit.

1 Like

This is a winner, Jim. Simpler is usually better. No merges like in your last image. 25 image stack? Too much trouble for me. :crazy_face: Thatā€™s why I donā€™t do much macro work with lots of dof. Iā€™ll stick to the dreamy shallow dof images.

1 Like

25-shot stack! Wow. It came out really well. Once again the light here is gorgeous. Especially on the little bits where the pollen would be. I just love those little ā€œcoffee beansā€. I wish youā€™d been able to separate the two flowers that are touching, but sometimes you canā€™t. Would using the move tool in Ps work do you think? Iā€™ve experimented with it, but you need a uniform background for it to work right sometimes. Since this does, maybe itā€™s worth trying. I like that there are three slightly different angles and views of the flowers.

1 Like

Thank you @Michael_Lowe , @Diane_Miller , @Kris_Smith , and @David_Bostock for your critiques and comments. For Winter flower photography, multiple flashes and a light tent are fun to use and produce good resultsā€¦ I started this plant from cuttings and was shocked at how quickly they produced flowers. One of the more challenging subjects which required more than 2 flashes. I also tried to use a vignette to darken the stem in the upper LH corner, but it produced a narrow bright line in the stem which made it an effect that was not good. Once again thank you and am glad that you enjoyed this oneā€¦Jim

Love this Jim!
Since you have already been playing with this , I wonder how cloning out the top most smallest flower would work

Interesting thought, @Karl_Zuzarte ā€“ or maybe just darken it a bit with slightly lower contrast?

Beautiful image stack, Jim. Congratulations!

Hi Jim! Congratulations on the yearly editors pick. Those flowers are beautiful. They almost feel like they are slowly dripping from the vine.

Thank youā€¦Jim

Thatā€™s a fine composition, Jim, and perfect for a black background. That species is giving you great sport, with the hummingbirds coming too. Congratulations!

1 Like

This is really nice Jim. My favourite background for flora shotsā€¦black. Composition looks great to me, and congratulations on the yearly pick for it. I like it as it is and feel that the small upper flower is needed to provide a feeling of balance. Cheers.

1 Like