Intruder among the Day Lilies

A riot of leading lines and eye candy from last Spring. A 15 image focus stack. I may have posted this at the time; I don’t remember. Regardless, it is all new post processing, fresh from Helicon Focus’ digital oven! Comments and critiques are most welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Do you see any errors and anomalies I might have missed?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Do you think this all works together successfully, or is it too busy for you?

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D750, tripod, remote release
Lens: VR 180mm f/2.8G
Focus Mode: Manual
AF-Area Mode: Single
VR: OFF
Aperture: f/4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/100s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200
80% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2018, Helicon Focus Pro (pyramid method), Topaz Studio. TK sharpen for web @ 35%

Allow other members to download your photo to demonstrate processing examples only?

With permission

Hi Phil,

Your composition is nice and the results of your stacking are very clean. The greens and shadows are carrying a lot of cyan in them. Photosynthetic pigments in leaves absorb most of the blue and red wavelengths of light while reflecting green wavelengths back to our eyes. Adjusting down the cyans or blues in those leaves should make this image appear more natural. Otherwise, good work on the image…Jim

Jim, instead of simply adjusting the cyan down, which I had tried before posting (didn’t care for it), I changed the cyan hue to green and warmed up the WB. I think it looks better, but tell me what you think.

Phil, the details really pop from the stacking. It looks like this was shot under clouds, which to my eyes often leaves things a bit blue. I think your repost fixed that well.

Phil,

Your repost looks good. Your treatment of pulling in more greens has worked very well. Good job…Jim

OK, Phil. This sounds simple, but how do you change subtle hues like that? My post processing skills don’t include that trick.

Beautiful image, by the way.

Dennis, if it has a chance of working, it’s easy. It doesn’t always. Here, the cyan hues were strictly in the green grasses. Using the hue/saturation tool, select cyan, then use the hue slider, move it to the left. Since cyan is just above green, it doesn’t take much to change it. However this was a two step process. Stop the hue slider when it starts to look reasonable, then move the WB (Camera Raw filter) up about 10%. Easy peasy.

Beautiful shot, Phil. You really do have that stacking down good. I have yet to try it! I appreciate your feedback to Dennis as well. This is one of the things I like about this site, everyone willing to teach and share their knowledge. I have been off of here for over 3 weeks, and I have missed it. Got hit the hurricane, lost power and internet. Then I was scheduled to go up to Maryland (had some detours going up I95), but am back home now. Taking me awhile to find time to get on here to comment. Have some photos I took up while up north, but haven’t had time to do much with them either. Maybe soon.

Thanks for the explanation, Phil. That’s a lot less complicated than I was imagining.

Phil: I’m late to the party but like this. I don’t think it’s too busy and I like the myriad elements. I would like a touch more room up top and I think I might make the pink bud in the LRC and the partial reddish bloom on the bottom edge go away. As usual your stack looks terrific.>=))>