Cedar Hollow Stream

Flowing through the Bathtub Rocks area on the J.T. Nickell Wildlife Preserve near Tahlequah, Oklahoma, Cedar Hollow Stream is considered one of the pristine streams in the state. The rock here is 5 to 100 feet thick, which is dense for sandstone. BTW, the actual Bathtub Rocks are not shown in this photo.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D
Canon EF 17-40 L USM zoom
f/8
1/500 sec.
ISO 400
Hand Held
Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping.

I like the shutter speed here and the texture you got in the water. Could you have gotten straight onto this cascade? It may be impossible, but could lead to some interesting compositions. Where does the green color come from? Algae? A scroll crop eliminating the background forest is interesting, but I don’t know if it works. This looks like a great place to go exploring. You could have a go at darkening the rock surrounding the water just a little…it might make the water pop more since there is a lot less of it than rock.

1 Like

Thanks, Kris. I honestly don’t remember if I could get straight on with the little falls, or not. I think I probably could. I stopped at this spot just briefly on my way to do some fly fishing for smallmouth on the Illinois River. I can play with the exposure and see if it produces anything interesting. If it does, I’ll post it.

Terry, the colors in the stream and the wet rocks stand out. The rest of the rock formation looks very interesting with it’s own subtle colors and lots of wear. The pool in the lower left is a nice extra. If any other pools around are much deeper, then it’s easy to see where the name Bathtub Rocks came from. While I could see a shot that emphasizes the stream more, having the surrounding land sets the stage for the area nicely.

1 Like

Thanks, Mark. It’s a very interesting area. I’d like to go back when I have more time and explore and shoot the area extensively.