Top of the Falls

Many of you may recognize these cascades as similars have been posted a few times over the years. This is just one of those scenes that you just can’t help yourself. Add to that there is really only one place and one way to capture this - and so it gets repeated. For a long time, there was a bush growing up in between the two rocks and over time it was getting too big… so some time during a big run-off, the hearty plan succumbed to the power of the water and the plant is no more.

Given I was just there last week and I have a fair number of “water in motion” images, I decided to post here as I’ve got another to post in the WC.

Full disclosure. Two images were used for this final image. But the second image was only used to bring back some texture/detail in the water in the extreme LLC just some feathering along the left edge. The bulk of this image a single frame. I cloned a couple small twigs along the top edge. I also chose to leave the sticks/plants in the water as is - perhaps as a tribute to the fallen bush of years past.

All comments, critiques and suggestions welcome! Thank you!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @98mm f/25 1/4s

Great shot Lon. The interesting rock texture along with the flowing water really work well together. The only thing I might change is cloning out the small twig in the URC.

I first fell in love with this subject when @Chris_Chamberlain posted it on the old NPN over a decade ago. Then I found it on Charles Cramer’s website. I climbed up the damn trail looking for it a couple of years ago and never did find it.

It still looks great without the bush, Lon. All that swirling water around those two peaks still resonates. The absence of plants now makes you think this could be the sea, however. Having seen several versions of this I would prefer less water. But I can’t imagine climbing that trail repeatedly with different flows. Are you happy with that small twig? I know you’re meticulous, so it’s there for a purpose.

The turbulent water flow is a standout here Lon. I am really enjoying the BW processing too. The placement of the stream rocks is a strong composition.

I really like the clinging branch in the upper left, it gives just a hint of scale, but find the twig on the right mildly disruptive of the flow of the image.

eBernstein strikes back, he/she didn’t want anyone else finding it…:grinning:

Seriously, this is a wonderful study in textures, Lon. The comp does a wonderful job of making those two boulders a focal point, it feels like they are in the middle of a maelstrom. B&W is a perfect choice for this image, I love the way the wet rocks look, they are so much more powerful
in B&W than in color. agree about the twig, but that is getting super nit-picky, this is a great image as presented.

An image which strangely makes me think of Sherlock Holmes and the Reichenbach Falls episode, Lon ! I think it’s the two stumps which seem so puny amid the torrent of waters - they very powerfully evoke the frailty of life.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say I’m happy with the twig… but gave a reason: “. I also chose to leave the sticks/plants in the water as is - perhaps as a tribute to the fallen bush of years past.” I kinda see that little twig as being a much bigger bush in 10 years…

And yes, less water could be good. Maybe I’ll return in a few weeks, if the snow ever stops melting!

As far as the location goes, I’m guess you were being facetious? If you remember Chri’s and Charlie’s versions you’ll know where this was taken. Let’s just say, I get a little vertigo when leaning over the cement guardrail… :wink: :innocent:

Thanks everyone for your comments so far! I too like the b&w processing. The color just doesn’t have the separation and texture compared to the processed b&w.

This looks really good. Very different that the/your/my earlier versions with the tree in it.

I love the power and dynamics in this image, especially the splashes coming in in the lower right. The 1/4 s seems like a great exposure time for the movement and it looks great in black and white!

Lon, I think this is a fine image of water motion and rocks in the spring Sierras. I know exactly where you were, but unfortunately by the time I learned of this place, the larger bush was already gone and I was very disappointed. But that is part of nature photography, and the icons (though this one was not as known) change with time. I like the little twigs you left, but I am ambivalent about the bigger ones between the rocks. Perhaps it is because I fell in love with the photos I saw from prior years when there was actually a bush there. Kudos to you for returning and making a lovely image.

Textures here are wild and wonderful. It’s abstract and real at the same time.