Wildcat Falls II

Greetings everyone,

Sorry, but I’ve been away a bit, out of town and now busy working on a whole new website. My original I built from scratch became infested with Malware and so I shut it down. Working on a new Smugmug model.

Anyway… here is a similar image to what I posted a couple weeks ago. Captured a month ago in Yosemite. With all the rain and snow we’ve had this year, the waterfalls will be booming.

Previous image was a little hot at the top. What I was intrigued with was the spray coming over the top of the main rock. Unfortunately it just didn’t come through like I’d hope, even with several other frames.

Feedback and suggestions always welcome!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing, color, sat, etc.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm, f/18 .4s iso 50. (can’t remember if I used polarizer or not.)

2 Likes

This is lovely, Lon. The vertical format works beautifully and your SS choice has created some nice details in the cascading waters of the falls. The spray hitting the top of that rock shows up nicely in the larger version even though it may not have been as much as you liked. I also like the earth tones of the rock as well as all the textures and details.

@Lon_Overacker

I really enjoy this image and I feel it is much more balanced in light then the other image you had originally posted. I already enjoyed the subject and now I enjoy this shot even more so, great shot!

Lots to like here, Lon. And I agree with Ed about your choice of shutter speed - fast enough to get some detail (I don’t care for silky water). That spray fanning out was what first caught my eye. Your exposure looks good considering the difficult lighting. The warm tones make this very appealing.

Lon, I agree with @Ed_Lowe here that when you open it big, the water splash is subtly visible and in my opinion plays a very important role in the composition. I think you have handled the processing very well. I enjoy looking at this a lot.

Lon, beautiful image. I agree that your shutter speed was just right Sosa to capture some detail without being to silky. Great color too. The only issue I have is that I wish the water was flowing over the rock in the upper right corner. It keeps drawing my eye away from the center portion of the image.

1 Like

Lon, excellent scene here. I really like the veil over the rocks. Being able to view the granite rocks behind the water really makes this one work well. …:+1:
Only thought for change for me is burn down the left water cascade near the top rock there. No biggie just seems too bright right there…:thinking:

I really like your composition and framing, Lon. The light is gorgeous, and I like the detail throughout.

I do agree with Paul about fixing that hot spot. Also, the water looks a little to warm/yellow to me. I think it would better if it was little cooler. The rock in the scene looks great, color-wise.
–P

Beautiful intimate, Lon. The warm rendering is a refreshing change from the normal cooler look. Your composition is very well balanced. As far as processing suggestions, I agree with Paul on burning the brightest highlights in the upper left region. Conversely, I’d dodge the highlights just a bit (not enough to lose the shadow contrast) in the bottom right.

I think that I know what you were after: the ability to show the trajectory of single droplets as they bounce from the surface? My guess would be that a faster shutter speed would be required. But perhaps less water passing the camera during an exposure would also help. My sense is that it would take a lot of trial and error to get it all working. Come to think of it they’re often back lit as well,

Marc Adamus and Floris van Breugel both have such images in their galleries. I’ve tried a few times without success. I’m not sure actually if that’s what you were after, however.

Lon, I like the image. So often we are concerned with the bigger views we miss these closeups that are great by themselves. At least I do. As mentioned before your settings were spot on. Good mix of flow was captured.