Blackwater Falls #2

This view of Blackwater Falls is from the other side of the river and a little more intimate than my last post. This particular image is a blend of two vertical shots. I think this is my favorite view of Blackwater Falls as it provides a wonderful front row seat to the falls along with a nice view up the Blackwater River.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800, Nikon 35-70 @ 58 mm, f 18 @ 1/5 sec, ISO 200, MLU, cable release & tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Of the two images, I definitely prefer this one, Ed. It does feel a lot more intimate (can all that snow and ice be intimate? Brrrrr!). The composition works very well for me with just the right amount of that rock ledge to the right. A lovely image.

The original uncropped version was best in my opinion. It showed the full majesty of the place.

Let me compare it to AA’s tunnel view image of yosemite as an explanation. You could crop that scene and make a great composition of it’s center of focus, Bridalveil Falls. But it’s the totality of the entire valley that makes it special. That’s how I feel about your different versions.

Actually the versions are so different that it’s unfair to compare. I do like that brush coming up from the bottom. It adds complexity and richness to the image.

Ed,

What a beautiful “winter wonderland” landscape. I really like this viewpoint - and both versions have their pluses. I like the closer, more intimate view here.

The only distraction I have (which was less so in the previous rendition) is the snow-covered flat boulder in the pool. It’s a bit of an eye puller. Not a deal killer for me, but if anything a minor eye distraction. Not sure if cropping off the right is the answer as it turns the comp in to a bit more of a conventional, vertical shot of the falls. I like the square crop here where the right hand side of the falls is unrestricted (a crop would cut in to that part of the falls.)

Tonality, contrast and overall processing are excellent.

Lon

Of the two, I much prefer the first one. To me, the first strikes much more of an emotional chord, the winter wonderland feeling. This one gives a better view of the falls, but doesn’t have the same sense of place and feeling for me. It is still nice though.

Beautiful, Ed. These are some killer conditions. I went back and looked at the first image from this place and have to agree with the posters that that one is stronger compositionally. Processing looks good only thought would be to raise the luminance of the water fall and slightly burn the bright area of snow in the lower right. I think this may help direct the eye to the central portion of the image.

Thanks everyone @Dennis_Plank, @Igor_Doncov, @Lon_Overacker, @Harley_Goldman and @Dave_Dillemuth for your thoughts and suggestions. The wintry conditions were just about perfect in my book.
@Igor_Doncov: That is a wonderful analogy.
@Lon_Overacker: That rock is my least favorite part of the image; I would love it if they removed it but that is never going to happen.:grinning:
@Dave_Dillemuth: Here is a repost with your couple of suggestions. The water has a lot of tannin in it so hopefully that looks a little brighter.