Blackwater River

This is a horizontal of a scene that I posted on the old site. It was taken about an hour past sunset which rendered some very blue tones that I backed off a bit to arrive at this version. I decided to leave some blue as it was quite cold. The location is a section of the Blackwater River before it spills over Blackwater Falls in WV.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D700, Nikon 28-70 @ 55 mm, f 22 @ 1 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ed,

What a beautiful winter scenic. I just love the meandering of the creek and how winter is encroaching on it’s visibility.

The color/hue sure seems appropriate given the conditions and time of day. An hour after sun down, that’s a long time! I’m surprised there was this much light. :wink: The snow looks really good so I can’t say globally the WB would be any better warmer, or cooler. This is a great case for personal preference. I’m not even sure if b&w would render this much differently; I’m guessing you tried?

The only wish I have is that the water had some more contrast and darkness. Or maybe even less blue in the water to help separate the tones. As it is, it’s just about the same tonality and luminosity as the rest of the scene; which again, is all a matter of personal taste, no rights or wrongs here.

Lovely and quiet winter landscape. I think could be taken in any number of directions.

Lon

2 Likes

Beautiful, peaceful scene. Appropriate colour for the time of day - I would have expected a far higher ISO to reclaim this much light an hour after sunset. - but I know nothing about WV.
Perfect perspective and placement of the meandering creek
Sweet image!
Sandy

Ed, this is another one of of your wonderfully composed winter scenes. I appreciate the placement of the steam and the amount of open snow you included on the right side the scene. I think that open space offers the eye a little room to explore (in a good way) before it gets taken into the narrowing river bed. The blue tones are nice and I think appropriate for the time of day. I noticed the black shadow under the rock in the center and to Lon’s point and I wondered if the water were darker how that would play? But that is a nit, this is quite beautiful as presented!

Very nice. I like the blue hour mood a lot. I do agree the water could be a tad darker, but you don’t want to lose detail there.

Nicely done, Ed.
–P

I love the flow of the creek through the image and cold wintery feel. That said, I am finding it a bit too blue for my tastes. To my eye, it kind of overwhelms the image. But I am once again out there by myself! Real nice image.

That’s a beautiful scene Ed. The composition works well for me; I especially enjoy the shapes of the stream. You might play with a touch more contrast to the stream and streambed, and slightly less cyan. Something like below?? Minor changes, to be sure, but thoughts for playing around to find what works for you.

This is really strong composition and some superb conditions, Ed. I would not change a thing in the framing. I’m a bit on the fence about the color balance, however. I think the blue would work better if the overall luminosity was brought down quite a bit. It just seems too bright for “blue hour”. Alternately this would also make a great B&W.

Many thanks to @Lon_Overacker, @Sandy_Richards-Brown, @Alan_Kreyger, @Preston_Birdwell, @Harley_Goldman, @John_Williams and @Dave_Dillemuth for taking the time to leave your thoughts. I have been playing around with a couple of different ways to process this. Here is a B&W version while I make some adjustments for another color version.
@John_Williams: Thanks for your repost with your suggestions; looks good.

2 Likes

Black & White looks great Ed! Actually much better than I thought it might (didn’t try myself.)

Contrast look great and the stream works much better in terms of standing out and cutting thru the encroaching snow.

Thanks for taking the time,

Lon

Lon, this BW version is really nice! If I had to choose it would be the BW. Great repost!

Ed, i’m coming in late on this one, but I have to say the B&W version is simply outstanding. You already heard a lot of comments saying this image had a strong composition, but the conversion to B&W simplifies and purifies this image, taking it up several notches. Nice work…

Thanks guys @Lon_Overacker, @Alan_Kreyger and @Ed_McGuirk. Glad you enjoyed the B&W as much as I did.

Ed, I like this composition so much, I’m going to steal it. I’m going to go back over my images from that day and see if I can crop any down to this. Hope I used the d800 with its higher mp count.