Blackwater Falls

This is probably my favorite view of Blackwater Falls in WV as you are high enough to see part way up the Blackwater River. Mike and I had timed our visit perfectly with just the right amount of snowfall as it seemed to impart a refreshing mood to the scene. This was 2 vertical images blended and converted to B&W with Silver Efex Pro 2. As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 35-70 @ 55 mm, f 18 @ 1/5 sec, ISO 200, MLU, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Lovely mix of creamy water and surrounding ice/snow. I wouldn’t have expected it, but I enjoyed this much more in the larger view.

Beautiful winter scene! It feels just a touch cramped on the left to me, but no idea what be lurking there. Add a bit of canvas? Minor though, a most enjoyable image.

Amazing scene with fresh snow and flowing water. I would be curious to see what the color version looked like?

Lovely winter waterfall image, Ed. I really like the way the water flows through this composition.

Ed, the two shot vertical does a great job of capturing both the falls and it’s surroundings. B&w shows the snow off very well.

A well composed shot of the falls, Ed! I like that you can see upstream before the falls. The square crop was a good choice for this scene as it covers all the critical elements without a lot of extra to distract from them.

Ed: I’ve spent little time in West Virginia other than passing through on my way somewhere else but this points out that there is a lot of beauty other than the mountain and coastal west. Marvelous scene and a fine conversion. Count me in on also being curious about the original color file. >=))>

Ed: With regard to the color file, one of the reasons I would like to see it is to look at how you got from there to here. As one who doesn’t do much B&W learning from someone who’s doing a pretty nice job would be helpful .>=))>

1 Like