Winter Hillside

Another scene from our recent trip to Blackwater Falls SP, WV. I do not know how much appeal this will have, but the image has really grown on me so I thought I would see what others think. I was attracted to the mood with the low lying snow clouds partially shrouding the snow covered hillside along with all the details of the deciduous and evergreen trees.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

all C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Any pertinent technical details:

NikonD800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200 mm, f 14 @ 1/60 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ed,

I can see why this might be growing on you. It is for me as well. I particularly like the opposing diagonals and the zig-zagging of the layers; not only from a shape and layer point of view, but also the fading contrast. In fact, my thought would to somehow enhance that where it’s the fading contrast that helps define the scene. In other words, perhaps increase the contrast in the foreground hill, a bit in the next hill and then let the rest fade to obscurity.

Since the top is a bit bright relative to the scene and blank, perhaps cropping just a bit off the top maybe halfway to the mountain top on the left. Or heck, make this go square.

No doubt a winter wonderland. Looks like a great day to be out shooting!

Lon

Thanks @Lon_Overacker; glad you liked it. Mike and I had two superb days shooting in this winter landscape. :grinning: I had already cropped the sky a bit, but I like your suggestion so here is another version. I also converted to B&W which I think I like better.

2 Likes

B&W is very effective here Ed. It actually accomplishes what I was thinking. Thanks for the repost.

Lon

Ed, the B&W approach looks great to me, I like the added contrast you gave the image in the B&W version. This location reminds me of the view from the top of Crawford Notch, NH, just above Silver Cascade. I like your B&W re-post as presented, but I think there is another alternate crop that might work too, which is to completely crop out the sky and fog, and show nothing but hillside.

Ed, I like both images but feel the B&W as presented with the greater contrast and detail makes the scene pop. I would probably crop a little more from top to just above the middle mountain.

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk and @Michael_Lowe for taking the time to leave a thought; always appreciated. Glad you both enjoyed the image.
@Ed_McGuirk: Funny you should mention the crop because I had did just that at another location. I am hoping they turn out as I think the focus was a little off due to some lens issues.
@Michael_Lowe: Good idea, I will give that a try.