Blackwater Falls

There are a couple of viewpoints for Blackwater Falls and this one is my favorite as it gives you a glimpse up the Blackwater River before it plummets over the falls. I also liked the way the orange autumn foliage helps frame the falls and draw your attention there. This image was taken this past October during a quick two day trip timed to catch the peak color along with some rainy weather.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C is welcome. Overall I am relatively pleased with the image. Does the intruding foliage into the bottom of the falls bother you enough to clone it out or are you good with it as is?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 35mm, f16 @ 0.6 sec, ISO 100, CPL, cable release & tripod

1 Like

Ed,

This is really a postcard (in the best sense) for these falls! The framing you mention is just perfect and your treatment of the colors is just right IMO. I also like the slightly darker contrast from the overcast or rainy day. Beautiful work!
No nits from from me.

This is excellent, Ed. One of the best I’ve seen of Blackwater. I really like how you framed the falls with the FG foliage. Top notch.

This is a beautiful look at the falls. The color is terrific and the foliage nicely frames the river. It looks really good.

Hi Ed! I agree with the other comments - a beautiful scene and you captured it very well. I wouldn’t change anything. Well done!

Ed, nice work on this, it is an interesting waterfall, and it’s obvious that you paid a lot of attention to framing and composition. The shutter sped on the water creates a wonderful creamy look too. i also like the mineral stains on the cliff to the right, it’s a nice small touch.

My only suggested tweak would be similar to a comment that I got from @Igor_Doncov on my recent post “Play Misty For Me”. I would de-saturate the yellow leaves in the bottom center, so they draw a bit less attention. Since they are surrounded by green and dark orange, the bright yellow leaves jump out a bit.