Fall at Blackwater Falls

Nikon D750 Nikon 16-35 ISO 100 F14 1/10th

I really liked this view of Blackwater Falls in West Virginia from last Fall. I think the small amount of blue sky adds interest compared to images with no sky at all. Sun is just hitting the tops of the trees as you can tell. Lots of great detail in the rocks too.

Does the composition work ? The surrounding of the falls with foliage is a plus to me as well. Great place to shoot anytime of year.

Comments and critiques please

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Andrew,

Wonderful landscape and broad view of the falls. You did a great job incorporating the sky with the landscape and falls. Timing and light was favorable for you to do this. The framing of the vegetation all around and topped off by the pretty blue sky is working quite nicely.

My only minor nit would be the dark branches/leaves ULC. Not a huge deal, but a little of an eye pull.

Processing, colors, etc. are quite excellent. Thanks for sharing

Lon

To be honest this doesn’t do much for me. The waterfalls were beautiful but you have done little to show their beauty other than record it. It’s a bit too documentary. I would suggest a composition that shows how you feel about them, what struck you about them. To be honest, your composition suggests a beginning photographer. We all started making pictures like this. I remember looking for a postcard to mail from camp in the 60’s and they all looked like this.

1 Like

Andrew, you caught a lovely early fall scene here. I like the framing of the falls with foliage, and the processing looks good to me.

I agree with Lon about the dark leaves ULC, and the clouds feel a little cut off on top to me. Not sure if you have any more room in your original, but it might be worth looking at.