Cedar Waxwing

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM Zoom, f/6.7, 1/350 sec., ISO 1250, Pattern Metering Mode, AV Mode, Post Production in Canon DPP, Photoshop, and Sharpen AI.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I am a big fan of waxwings. This has a very gorgeous color harmony in the image but I think the processing feels a little off: Somewhat in-between a regular photograph and a painting. If you are going for a more painterly direction, I think one of the main issues for me here is the haloing. I can see it around the birds, the branches and the twigs, and the berries.

1 Like

Hi, Adhika.

Thanks for the thoughtful critique. I was aiming for a dreamy, painting effect, but sounds like I may have over-processed it. Back to work!

Best,
Terry

I like the painterly look, Terry. I did notice the halos that Adhika mentioned, but I think most of them don’t detract enough to matter. I’d concentrate on the brighter fringes.

1 Like

Thanks, Dennis. If you have the time, I’d like to ask a question. I see the halos you guys are seeing, but only if I increase magnification by quite a bit. Are you guys seeing the halos at normal size?

Best,
Terry

Yes, I’m seeing them at the resolution you posted the image. On the bird, they show up as a bright fringe. The most obvious one is above the head and beak. It looks to me like a fine white line with a fine blue line above it. You’ll see some along the back as well. Even in the lower resolution image in the post itself, I can see lighter colored strips along the edges of the larger branches. It’s a fairly common phenomenon.

Okay; thanks a bunch!