Central Coast Seascape

Hey all!

I’ve been working on this image for a little bit and just wanted to get some feedback regarding the composition, colour use and if there are any other tips people have that could help make this a little better and bring the eye into the scene.

The ‘style’ I’m trying to go for is this kind of thing with a nice colour pallete & that slight burn on the horizon which helps give light direction.

I really like the picture but I think there’s more I can do for the composition I just don’t know what

– ### Pertinent technical details or techniques: –
Two Images, one used on top of the other within Photoshop to blend in better water flow, adjustments within Camera raw and masking for dodging and burning

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

@dalegphoto

Hey Dale, This looks like a pretty epic location. I’m trying to imagine what it would be like with some big surf :smiley:

I’ll be honest here and say that there are elements of this photo that I find quite appealing, yet a few things that don’t work for me.

I think you have captured and processed the flow water really nicely. I like the textures and the slight glow. Unfortunately, for me, the flowing water is the biggest downside of this image. In terms of composition it doesn’t lead you anywhere. It seems to stop as you get to the junction with the rocks. The water in the insta link you posted, as the main subject (like it is in your photo), really flows through the scene and draws you in.

In terms of composition you also have a decent separation of each of the rock elements so they are not overlapping. The line created by the rock coming from the lower left corner to the middle does work as a leading line, but doesn’t really lead you to a subject.

In terms of processing, I have already mentioned the water which I like and the same goes for the sky. It can be very effective to have that slight ‘burn’ on the horizon you refer to. I would however raise the shadows/blacks in the dark areas of the rocks. Should bring out a bit more texture and also balance off the colours with the left side of the shot. It may be the screen I am using at the moment but the light on the rocks looks very deep red. I’d have a fiddle with the saturation/luminosity and see if you can reduce the intensity a bit. Maybe even bring up the exposure too.

Hope all that helps a bit. I think the main thing I would concentrate on for this type of image is having a more prominent subject and working on the flow from front to back.

Drop me a note if you have nay questions or anything I say didn’t make sense :rofl:

Cheers,
Eugene

I think you’ve got a very nice sunrise picture with great light and good composition. The shutter speed created nice flowing lines that wind between the rocks. The biggest issue I see is the brighter part of the water at the very right. I can’t tell if that’s due to sunlight or if it’s been dodged, or both. I might burn that in.

Hi Dale,

You’ve got a handle on the technical aspects of the photo (exposure, element placement (such as no merging elements), great light, good color, even good sense of action). However, what’s missing for me is that the leading lines in the composition, and there at least two that grab my eye ( the rushing water and the line of the rocks) don’t take my eye to any thing. The rushing wate hints at sending your to the source of that great light but then you hit the edge of the photo and you’re left wondering. I hope that helps.

I will agree with the others. Stating that, it’s still a very nice image that I would be proud to have. Not portfolio stuff, but still very good.
:vulcan_salute:

Dale,

You most certainly have a beautiful seascape to start with. I think the outflow of the receding wave, including the texture and softness in the water) work very nicely leading the eye in to the scene. And to make it even better, I love the warm to cool transition as a result of that light striking the rocks and water up high.

At least for me, coastal compositions are always tough, even awkward. I think it’s the diagonal and perspective looking up or down the coastline. Unless you’re shooting straight out to sea, there’s always that diagonal. Now, in your case, that angle is broken up nicely with the late (early?) light striking the rugged coast. I like how the rocks zig-zag around also leading the eye in to the frame. And both the water and light on the rocks leads the eye to the upper part of the frame for the viewer to enjoy.

I’m really enjoying this scene; it’s warmth and this takes me right there. Honestly, I think this just needs tweaks, and they all are really personal choices and suggestions; not fixes.

I’m posting a version here, and at the last minute I decided to clone out the person. I also like the human element included, but thought I would remove just to see if that makes a difference.

Otherwise, I made a few adjustments. First, cropped some of the sky. I think a little less sky helps contain the scene and keep the eye within the frame. I did a blues channel selection and some masking to darken the water a little bit middle right along the rocks. And I agree with Eugene and bumped up the overall luminosity in the darker areas of the rocks AND also brightened the warmer water to emphasize that warm, beautiful light. Oh, also burned down the brightest part of a sky a little.

I think Eugene also has a bit of a point on having some nice lead-ins that draw the viewer in - but then to what or where? In this case, the beauty of the sky, the rugged coast,s and the beautiful light are enough to keep one’s interest and I don’t think it’s always necessary to have a fixed destination for the eye.

2 Likes

This is a really beautiful seascape with some amazing soft light! I really like the human element in the image at the horizon. It adds an extra touch of epicness to the photo, and it helped draw me in to the scene. When I saw this photo, I could feel being that person standing on the rock getting blasted by soft golden light at sunset while listening to the waves crash.

I also think you have done a really great job processing the image. In particular, I thought the golden light on the foreground rocks was perfectly rendered. And you did a great job of processing the light bleed coming in from the setting sun. Did you apply an Orton effect to this image? I feel like this image might benefit from a bit more glow through something like an Orton effect, particular on the background rocks near the subject.

I agree with Eugene’s critique that the water flow in this image hinders the composition. For me, when I look at this image, I see two primary lines leading my eyes through the scene. First, there are the rocks that go from left to right in the foreground, and then right to left as you get closer to the horizon leading your eyes to the subject. Second, the horizon itself and the soft light bleed coming from off screen leading your eyes to the subject. A really great composition, except the foreground water breaks up foreground rocks leading line in the middle and leads your eyes in the opposite direction.