Champney Falls Gorge

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an older shot from almost 10 years ago in what would prove my last fall in New Hampshire. Luckily I went up to the mountains even though it was pouring. The waterfalls were pretty low and unspectacular, but this gorge was amazing. They don’t call it the Granite State for nothing. It would have been a great sight even without that tree, but it literally made me gasp so I set up the tripod!

Specific Feedback

I’ve reprocessed this since I could do a bit better in terms of a slight crop and some distraction removal. The sky is what it is and it was bucketing down off and on all day. I felt I needed to include the sky because of the tree. Thoughts? How about anything else with processing? I have a few more views but there are more raindrops visible as bokeh balls and so I went with this angle for the final.

Technical Details

Tripod and probably a polarizer.

Basics all in Lr for tonalities, texture, lens correction and a bit of a crop to make for a better frame to emphasize the rock itself. Photoshop for some distraction removal and a very slight Orton effect in the highlights.

Kris: Wonderful scene and good on you for the effort. I did a screen crop and think I like this better with almost all of the sky eliminated. You do lose the top of the tree but I don’t think you need it all to still give it impact. Top notch shot. >=))>

What a cool place. It works for me with or without the sky. It took me a minute to see the waterfall!

Thanks @Bill_Fach & @Bonnie_Lampley - it is a bit of an awkward composition, but maybe it works. It is a very cool place and I’m glad I went since I’ll probably never go again since I don’t live there. I fell into that false sense of security when we think things will be available to us forever - we think, oh sure, I’ll shoot that someday. And then, someday never comes.

1 Like