Changing of the Seasons

The first snow storm of the season clearing in Banff NP. A wide angle didn’t; seem to do justice to the huge peak in the background so this panorama is a stitch of 5 images at 145

mm.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. Is the foliage too sharp?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Do you find the blues too saturated? I’m thinking of blurring the water as the water pattern gives a perception that the image is tilted.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

5 images at 1/800s, f8, ISO 320, 145mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@nathankleinphotos

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hey @Nathan_Klein.

First the image and the scene is awsome.
The trees don’t seam to be to sharp (if that is possible ahah).
The water does give the illusion of tilted image but, for me, it’s not a huge thing.
I think the sky could need a bit more room and the mountain could be more interesting with a tad of contrast.
Other them that the image is great
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers

Thanks for the perspective João, I’ll keep tweaking

Nathan,

Terrific landscape image. I really think the dominant presence of the mountain comes through here framed with a dynamic set of clouds and framed by the line of trees and lake/shoreline.

Processing wise, I could see a very slight reduction inthe blue and like Joao a bump in contrast - but just in the mountain/clouds - not the trees necessarily.

As far as a tilt goes, I would argue… scratch that - my opinion… :wink: is that there is a very slight rotation. Just looking at the far shoreline where there is no longer any receding effect AND I think many of the trees have a global lean to the left (although of course we all know that trees in general can’t be relied on as always being vertical… The biggest thing for me is the crop is so tight in the left half that one can’t help but “feel” this is not level visually… intellectually, I know the shore is receding and we can’t use the shoreline as a level… I do like the pano presentation, but there’s just not enough lake on the left to prevent me from the impression it’s not level. Hope that all makes sense. And I’m pretty sure eliminating the water all together is a viable option.

I think this has great potential. I thought I would take a chance at this with some quick edits. Obviously I expanded the canvas (Transform scale/stretch) and also rotated a little - based on the water level of the right 1/4 treeline.) With a TK blues channel selection I used a couple Levels layers, hue/sat and contrast/brightness to tweak the mountain a bit. I noticed a little haloing between the tops of the trees and mountain, which is still present in my edits. Basically reducing the blue in the mountain, increasing contrast a bit - while masking out the sky and bring some color blue back in the sky. Lifted the shadows a tad in the trees. The expanded water isn’t all that great quality wise, so for illustration really… the level of blue/sat is really a personal choice. Mine might be too much removal…

Thanks so much Lon,

I think you’ve taken it in a better direction. I think I lost perspective on this one and had to give it a rest for a bit.

I’ll continue on the direction you’ve taken and repost