Chaos

I tried to create this semi-abstract image in a forest that was ravaged by fire a few years ago.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m curious if you think it ‘works’ or if it’s just a random mess…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Panasonic LX100, 1/50sec, f/8, lens at 32mm (~70mm equiv.)

1 Like

I like it! I experimented with a bottom crop but much prefer it as presented. There is a lot going on, but it comes together really well and works for me.

You discovered a scene that is a really solid foundation for an abstract, and I like how you composed it. Like Harley, I like the bottom snow as it provides a foundation for the otherwise busy canvas.

Looks like highlights are clipped. As you open the raw file in Lightroom or ACR, you might find more detail in the snow if you slid the White to the left. Or maybe you prefer the solid white as a contribution to the abstractness of the image.
I wondered whether the red tree boles were distracting from the engaging lines and patterns that are the strength of the abstract. I desaturated the image a lot, but leaving some red color works pretty well, I think. Also added a freehand vignette in the upper left and right to keep my eyes in the scene. That seemed to work for me.

Then I noticed that the trees on the valley floor provide a dense array of lines, and the trees above on the slope are much more sparse. Below is a crop that exploits the dense array. It seemed to want a bit less red than the larger scene.

1 Like

I really like this, Tom. I like the general direction that @Dick_Knudson took the rework although I don’t think I’d desaturate the reds and yellows quite so much. I think the thing I would play with a bit would be texture/clarity. It feels like you may have added either texture, clarity or a bit of both. Personally, I’d go the other way and pull back slightly on that to soften it a hair. But really well seen and composed. I prefer your crop, by the way, as it adds another level of patten.

@Harley_Goldman, I appreciate your input! I also tried cropping off the bottom but, in the end, I decided against it because the image felt more grounded this way.

@Dick_Knudson, Thank you for your thought out feedback. I really like your de saturated version and I like crop as well. It really helps focus the image.

@Kerry_Gordon, Thanks for your input. I will try adjusting the texture and clarity. Funny enough, I didn’t increase either in my processing but I did use Tony Kuyper’s Triple Play action which added some micro contrast to the dark tree trunks .

This works nicely as a large scale abstract Tom. I also like the crop that Dick provided.

Beauty out of destruction, there is a nice nature story here that goes beyond it just being an abstract.

This image has a lot of interesting ingredients that would allow you to take it in several interesting directions . But my comments would essentially mirror those of @Kerry_Gordon, don’t take away so much of the color, and I like your original crop. Leaving some of the color adds to the “Beauty out of destruction” story that I like about this image.