Autumn Woods

I took several images today and this was the keeper. I just went for something different, not knowing if it would be a bust or something worth working on. As you can see it’s just mostly bare brush around trees. We’re getting a massive leaf fall now so they cover everything. I composed for the horizontal but later made the square crop. Which do you prefer?

Incidentally, there was an article posted today about creating order out of chaos in a forest. I commented that chaos is an important element if forests which can be effectively shown. Coincidentally I took this image today which sort of illustrates my point.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Too chaotic?

Any pertinent technical details:

D810, Tamron 24-70@55mm, iso 64, f/16, 0.4 secs, tripod

The cropped is above and the original below

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

I prefer the square crop. The white tree trunks form a more cohesive grouping.

Igor, I agree this image does illustrate that you can effectively portray chaos. Yes there is a lot of chaos in the leaves and branches but you have also created depth in this image by including the aspens. Having 2 layers of depth in this image really makes it work. I prefer the square crop over the original. I think the square crop is not really that chaotic. Your composition is tighter and simpler, and the density of the brown leaves is lower than on the right side of the original, which allows the aspens to come through more. I find the original to be more “chaotic”, or perhaps complex would be a better term. The aspen on the right competes a little with the prominent one of the left, and the thicker density of the leaves on the right adds complexity too. The square crop is really a quite lovely image, I like it a lot.

The square crop feels a lot more intimate Igor. Nice capture

Igor, I also like the square crop and for many of the reasons that Ed and Bill stated so well. Really nicely seen and captured!

The square crop for me also. I would agree with Ed that this is not all that chaotic. The trunks really bring a lot of order to the image and the leaves provide a level of layering. This turned out really well. Very creative and well executed.

Okay, I’ll be different. I prefer the original crop. I find the composition has better balance than the square crop.
The repeating tree trunks provide enough of a pattern to make this image work in spite of the complexity.

Igor, all of those red leaves remind me of deep-field astronomical images where millions of stars are visualized. What also strikes me about this is the aspen trunks adding a nice sense of depth.

As far as choosing between the two crops, I prefer the full frame image. It has more space, and a nicer rhythm.

Processing looks good to me. Nicely done.
-P

Igor, this looks great. The frame filled with orange on white is nicely abstract even as I recognize all of the elements. I prefer the extra space of the full frame view as it adds a nice sense of being surrounded by the forest.

Igor,

Kudos for not only seeing this, but double kudos for daring the press the shutter. :slight_smile: Seriously, I took a lot just to see and recognize the potential.

I’ll stake the middle ground and say I think both crops works. I’m glad some spoke up about the full frame as I think that one has more room, space, or whatever to allow the eye and brain to really absorb and experience what you’ve captured. The cropped version, more simple, but still effective in creating that order from chaos.

If I had one wish, it would be for more yellowish foreground/bottom leaves. but then again, there might not have been any structure below, but I still like the hint of color variation you included.

Well done!

@Bill_Pelzmann, @Ed_McGuirk, @Eugene_Theron, @Alan_Kreyger, @Harley_Goldman, @Dave_Dillemuth, @Preston_Birdwell, @Mark_Seaver, @Lon_Overacker.

Thank you for your comments and thoughts. Yesterday I thought the square was superior. Your comments have rightfully pointed out that if chaos is the purpose then the landscape format conveys it better. This morning I prefer the landscape image more. Besides, I like that tangle right of center. Call me strange (or Ishmael).

Igor, of the two I am inclined to prefer the original or maybe a slight variation on it. However, as another option though, when I’m looking at the square version, I’m wanting to see a similar horizontal POV, but in vertical format adding more canvas above. Of course that may not work if that part is “junky” or other such condition. For me, when tree trunks are a significant component to an image, the vertical shows off their appeal a bit better, feels more “complete.” Either of them works, but of these the horizontal gets my vote. Chaotic? No, not for me. I kind of like a little chaos in photographs, makes it fun for my eye to wander around and find the sense of order. Hope this all makes sense.

1 Like

Not one of my favorites from you as it seems a little too busy overall. Of the two, I prefer the wider composition because it gives a better sense of freedom and being able to breathe. The smallish opening in the bottom center of the wider shot is part of the reason I like that version better as well. That opening doesn’t seem to translate well in the square version. I think I would have much better appreciation of the image if I were viewing as a 24x36 or larger for sure.

I prefer the square crop because the trunks take on a triangular formation which helps to give the chaos a sense of organization. It’s really interesting how you shot the tree trunks through the smaller trees. It gives a very interesting pattern, and it’s kinda cool how the trunks play a secondary role. My only suggestion is that I wish the light was a bit more dimensional.