Churchill Nightlights

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Would elimination of the Churchill Airport light improve the image enough to warrant the effort?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Aurora display in the night sky above Churchill, Manitoba, Canada.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 10D, EF 28-70mm @ 28mm; f/2.8 @30 sec, -1 EV, ISI 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55, remote trigger

A dramatic capture! I don’t think the light is a problem, but it might work to change its color to remove the mauve, so it looks more like the artificial lighting we’re more used to and fits the scene better.

Thank you @Diane_Miller for your suggestions. I checked with the Churchill airfield. They use a combination of red and white lights on the strip. I reworked the image and changed the color of the runway lights. I made them brighter.