Aurora Curtains

This was photographed on the southern coast of Iceland in March 2017. A rip roaring dance of colors at twilight. The sun had just set and the moon is just about.
This was a 1.4 sec exposure at ISO 2000 - trying to get that curtain effect,
Wish that I had made another exposure for the foreground ( land portion at least )

Specific Feedback Requested

I am open to any kinds of discussions. On NPN the sky does look darker than it does on my home monitor

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

2 Likes

This is pretty cool. They’re like flames dancing over the earth. I like this quite a lot. I do think having subjects other than the borealis adds a lot to the composition. This would be good even without the moon but it does add a lot. Funny how we’re suddenly seeing all these borealis images at this time. There’s a wedge of water near the bottom that’s blue rather than green. It kind of stands out even though it’s likely natural. Good job on this image.

1 Like

I have yet to see this light show; it looks wonderful. I too like the inclusion of the foreground elements to help set the stage. The saturation is nice to bring out the lights, but to my taste is too much in the darker foreground elements. I would play with reducing it there.

2 Likes

I like the composition, the colors in the sky, and your use of the foreground and moon here. An aurora display to die for…

But I have to agree with @John_Williams the saturation in the dark foreground feels overdone to me (both the red in the land, and the blue in the water in the LLC). In real life, colors in shadows are very un-saturated, and when our eyes see saturated shadow colors in images, it can look un-natural. This is a similar issue to the foreground green moss on the Cape Cod bridge image you showed me recently.

And my personal opinion is that strongly saturated colors along frame edges can sometimes draw attention away from the center of the image, and I think you have that going on here as well.

Thanks you all - in particular @John_Williams and @Ed_McGuirk - I have reduced the saturation in the lower part - Unfortunately, I did not make a base frame as I was too engrossed with all that dancing in the sky - always something to learn