Overhead Icelandic Aurora

This was in November 2015 - my first experience seeing and photographing this unusual phenomenon. That particular night the sky blew open allowing for all sorts of captures. It does take quite a bit of experience figuring out how to capture these. Hopefully one day I will get more opportunities
This would have made a better image if it was low enough with a interesting landscape
8.6 sec exposure suggests that it wasn’t a explosion at the time

Specific Feedback Requested

Perhaps a vignette to burn the brighter edges

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

4 Likes

Wow, Karl. Outstanding capture.

1 Like

Viewing and photographing the aurora is on the top of my bucket list, Karl. Even though you have no landscape this works for me due to the diagonal flow of the aurora as it seems to explode from the LLC toward the URC. I hope you have some more to share.

1 Like

Spectacular image. Interestingly, to me anyway, is that my first impression was the opposite of Ed’s. I see something speeding through from the URC to the left center where it exits the area (like through a worm hole).

1 Like

Oh no, I like this just as it is, Karl. No need for land. Absolutely one of the best Aurora pics I’ve seen.

1 Like

Great shot Karl. The edges look fine to me, IMO there is no need to burn the edges further. I also think that this works well as a pure abstract, so not having any land is fine with me. This also looks like what you sometimes get from the aurora by looking straight up to the top of the sky, so unless you had a fisheye lens, it would be hard to include the land anyways :grin:

Color is a matter of subjective personal taste. I like the greens here, but my preference would be to see the dark sky a little bit more blue.

Even though this is a picture of aurora borealis it really goes beyond it. The greens make me think of the color of an emerald. And the abstract nature of the presentation makes me feel as though I’m looking at how light bounces and reflects within such a stone. It’s pretty dazzling all right. A green flame.

1 Like

An outstanding abstract. A very inventive take on photographing the aurora. For me, the lack of any reference (i.e., land) is what makes this image so exceptional and one that I could view over and over.