Farmer's Aurora, North Central Iceland

2 Years ago today, we stood in this farmer’s field in North Central Iceland in our pajamas, shooting this amazing Aurora Borealis. At first, you can’t see it with the naked eye, so it’s best to set up a long exposure to see if the colors show up on the screen. And sure enough, we could see a soft green glow. We roused all of our other travelers and headed out to the snow. The farmer’s dog was not very happy about us, but it was all part of the amazing experience.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
13Sec, F4, ISO 800, 14mm

@photographyexplorations

That must have been an amazing sight. I like the composition, with the farm small and insignificant in the frame. And I really like that the vertical perspective is correct (that is, the sides of the buildings aren’t tilted inward from tilting the camera up). The red roof of the barn contrasts well with the greenish-blue of the sky.

Thank you. It was quite an evening.

Makes me wish I’d been with you; sounds like very good times!

The glow, stars, and farm below make for a beautiful scene. It looks cold though!

Which camera were you using?

It was a memorable evening for sure! On that trip, we saw the Aurora most every night. Very unusual. I was shooting with the Olympus OMD-EM5 at the time and pushed it to its capacity. I got frustrated with the dynamic range on that camera and switched to Sony A7RIII. I’ll post a few more night photography images I shot with the Sony. It’s amazing.

Holly, this brings back fond memories of my own trip to Alaska to view the Aurora. The image works well for me, the farm makes for a great foreground. And I like how you kept the foreground minimal too, to maximize the impact of the Aurora. Good job on the processing here too, I like the green color of the Aurora, it looks great, I prefer a cooler WB in the sky / aurora.

1 Like

Thanks Ed! It was quite a night!

This is a really nice Aurora Borealis image. You never get bored of AB images, they come in so many different variations. I live in a country where this phenomenon appears from time to time, but since I am situated in the southern part of Sweden I have never seen it. Have to travel to the north in the winter!

I like the contrasts in light and colors, and the stars add to the impression. A very minor issue of personal taste, but I would have erased a few very bright white dots placed very close to the edge.

I love th color combinations in this image. The sky is particularly beautiful.

1 Like