Blowing in the Solar Wind

This was from my first night on a winter trip to Fairbanks Alaska, where I was hoping to to see the Aurora. First time out was a charm in this case . However, as luck would have it, the Aurora appeared in a direction where there wasn’t much of a foreground to work with. But I liked how the shape of the Aurora reminded me of a plume of smoke being blown by the wind. So I kept the composition simple, and tried to showcase the shape of the plume as best as I could. The display only kept getting better from here, but this was how the evening started.

Even though it was 25 below zero, I didn’t care because it was one of the most awe inspiring sights that I have ever witnessed in nature. Still images don’t really do it justice, one of the most exciting things about seeing it in person was watching the aurora dance, move and change shape.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 16-35mm lens at 16mm, 13 seconds at f2.8, ISO 1600

3 Likes

This does look like a big smoke plume and a great color. I would favor cropping 60% of the bottom black area. It does not add value and the crop would further showcase the plume. I have never seen the Aurora but I am not sure I would hang in -25 degree weather. That is cold. Real nice image.

So glad you experienced this. I saw the auroral borealis quite by accident near Fairbanks in late August. As you say, the pictures, as good as they are, don’t capture the experience. Much like a slow shutter speed picture doesn’t really capture the feel of a roaring waterfall. These lights race across the sky and they are sharp, not soft looking.

Anyway, back to the image. I personally like the funnel like composition. It looks like green smoke. Sorta. I wouldn’t crop anything. A lot of such images I’m seeing recently use a lake reflection to make them more awesome. Adamus, used mountain peaks. You have to really plan ahead I guess. The Fairbanks paper would print a forecast which days it would appear and the hours. Glad you had this incredible experience.

Wow!! You have a wonderful dynamic shape which suggests the movement we can’t see. It’s surprising to me to see the “plume” arising from over the horizon. And you have a better copy of that lens that I do – the stars on the corners are quite decent.

Still on my bucket list!

I like the image and I envy you for the experience. Never seen aurora in my life, still wish to watch it once.
About the image: I love it as you presented it, but I can go with @Harley_Goldman and crop the major part of the black FG. The plume is magnificent.
About this experience, a small anecdote: In a German photo magazine I read an article about a family dedicated to photography, both man and wife, that travel a lot with their 3 young children, chasing images. While capturing the aurora in a winter night in Norway, the mother went mad because she couldn’t make the images she desired. One of her daughters said: Mum, why don’t you just watch? Most people won’t ever see this in their life!
It is a wake-up call, that we photographers must be careful to stay participants, not only viewers of images we make.

@Harley_Goldman @Igor_Doncov @Diane_Miller @Han_Schutten

thank you all for your comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Han, the nice thing about this experience was that the aurora displays lasted a long time. I actually had more fun just watching the aurora dance and move than I did photographing. I knew this was one of the few times in my life that I would get to experience this, so I made sure to both photograph and take a break to enjoy the show too.

Brave boy Ed . I certainly appreciate the definition in the aurora itself as well as the pin point stars. A little faster shutter speed ( not much ) might bring it out a bit more.
Cropping the bottom dark base may be something to consider as there doesnt appear to be much detail - unless you are able to salvage some
The color balance seems right

Due to the absence of a frame I didn’t even see the black horizon. Therefore I amend my comment and agree with cropping it out. Hmmm. Having it rise out of the bottom frame isn’t optimal either but would be better than what is there now.

This is a total bucket list wish for me Ed! Your first night out??? Really? That’s incredible. You must have been over the moon. What an incredible sight. Did you have a remote trigger? The reason I ask is because I shot at Bryce Canyon when the temperature was -12 degrees and I couldn’t feel the buttons on my camera. I literally could not work the controls.
Back to the picture, I think the composition is strong because it’s all about the Borealis and the funneling plume. Maybe an interesting foreground would help but this is such a strong composition without the added distraction of a foreground that it really works well. You might bring out just a little more detail in the bottom of the image as it looks like just a black band. Just enough to give a little bit of definition. Otherwise, I say you did really, really well on your first outing.