Clearing Storm Appin

Appin, Argyll, Scotland

It is probably the same with most Atlantic temperate zones but for Scotland it seems to be very definitely the case namely if you don’t like the weather your seeing right now, just wait five minutes. Heavy rain obliterated the view I had of a group of trees at Appin almost concealing the snow covered mountains on the Ardnamurchan peninsula. There is it seems always light at the end of the tunnel and as the wave of rain began to clear sunlight swept in to frame the trees and envelop the mountain peaks.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55 zoom, 0.45ND Grad, 3 stop ND filter, f/11 at 1 second.

1 Like

A beautiful capture of typical West coast scene Ian. Purely on a personal taste I’d crop it to letterbox and maybe my monitor is needing Cal but I’d take it down 0.1 in the overall Exp, just to remove the slightly lighter top section.

I really like your handling of the light and the high key background - wonderful image.

The image is lovely - a dynamic calm with that lonely copse of trees by the shore. Before I go on, I have to confess, I’m starting to get into colour theory and spending some time with the colour wheel so, forgive me if I get all colour wonky on you. But, I’m having a bit of a problem with the water. At first I thought there was either too little or too much of it but giving it more thought, I think it’s the colour. It’s hard to isolate the dominant colour in this image. The aqua in the water dominates, but I don’t think it is the dominant colour, which is probably the red/orange in the clouds and hills. I don’t think the aqua colour does this image any favours. From a colour wheel perspective, it feels like it clashes. I might try moving the aqua a little more towards blue, which would be more of a compound compliment.

Great atmospherics and a fine overall image. I find myself in agreement with @Kerry_Gordon about the water color, something about it doesn’t look right to my eye.