Window of opportunity

Sometimes waiting for the storm clouds to clear works out. Taken in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado during peak fall colors.

Clearing after a storm certainly produces some nice clouds and light, Tony. I like the way you framed this with the mountains filling the upper half of the frame. It makes them look incredibly large.

Tony (great name! growing up non mormon in Utah I never met another Tony until I moved to California) this is a wonderful photo! I love the color, the composition, and the framing by the clouds. My ony nit is that the aspen tree trunks seema bit over sharpened. The last two autumns I have photographed this area and faced this oversharpening of the aspen trunks in many of my photos. My solution is to use a luminosity mask to choose the lighter tree trunks and use that as the basis for a mask in the sharpening layer. Or just carefully paint in a mask over the trunks.

Tony, the bands of color and the partially hidden peaks in the distance look great. Clearing storms do make for some fine photography.

Tony,

Terrific autumn mountain scenic. Great combo of the fall color and majestic peaks - toss in the clearing storm and you’ve got a winner here. Processing looks spot on.

This has been mentioned, so I wanted to. Trying to figure out why most the aspens have a significant lean to the right. It makes me feel like the image is tilted and not level. Yet, there are trees on the right and left that say the scene is level. So are the trees naturally leaning because of the slope? Not a big deal, just throwing me off a little trying to figure it out.

thanks for sharing!

Lon