Cloud Catch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken during a recent trip to Yosemite looking up from the Valley just after sunrise during a graupel storm. The light and settling of clouds on this granite shelf caught my eye!

I am a new member and this is my first submission!

Specific Feedback

I would appreciate any feedback on this image.

Technical Details

Sony a7RIV
ISO 100, 1200 mm ,F10, 1/800
RAW capture, post processing in Adobe Lightroom.

3 Likes

Hey Julia, you took the plunge!

Very striking shot you chose. A detail that not every photographer would see when confronted with the grandeur of the entire scene. I think the slice you’ve given us is quite dramatic and without the clouds would be less engaging. With them though, there’s a lot of mystery - photos that show weather make me feel less in control and more at the mercy of nature if you know what I mean.

I am a little put off by the brightest part of the photo being on the top right - of course you can’t help that the snowfall there is on a flatter surface, but I wonder if taming the whites, highlights and exposure there would keep our eyes from going there (as we always do with the brightest part of a photo). You could, at the same time. emphasize the brighter bit of sun on the right face of the cliff. That is a more central patch of bright that I think makes more aesthetic sense. Both changes would bring better balance to the composition IMO. If you want to take it further, you could darken some of the other dark areas to further balance the blacks and shadows - I would follow the natural shade though and not apply darkening where the sun is shining on the rock.

Phew!! That’s all I have for you on this one. I’m so glad you went with monochrome for this since the contrast works so well here and the textures are alive with that sidelight.

Julia, welcome to NPN. This is a fine first post. It captures a good mix of grandeur and mystery, with monochrome definitely the way to go. I’m not at all bothered by the brightness of the snow field on the right, it looks perfectly natural and there are subtle details showing. The contrast between the snowfield and the dark mountain below does draw extra attention to that side of the frame, so you might try increasing the contrast on the left side with some dodging of the cloud and snow.

Welcome to NPN, Julia! This is a wonderful first image, with the grand cliffs cradled in mist. I love the sharp detail in the rocks set against the tonal detail in the mist. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Welcome to NPN! The light and clouds definitely provide interest in this image. I also find the composition pleasing as it feels well balanced.

Hi Julia, I am new to NPN as well. I really like this image, love the B&W. You got a great shot with the soft clouds against the detailed hard rock. I also like that the snow looks white ( not gray) without looking blown out.

Thank you, Kris for taking the time to give me detailed feedback on my image. I definitely now see what you are referring to in the upper right! Good to also keep in mind the balancing of shadows as well, and to not overdo it where the sun is shining on the rock. Thank you, so much Kristen! This is such a great community. I can tell I am going to learn a ton!

Hi Mark! Thank you so much for this extremely helpful feedback. I like your suggestions about balancing on the left. I appreciate you taking the time. I am happy to be here!

Hi Diane, Thanks for the warm welcome and kind comments. I look forward to learning more from all of you in this great community!

Hi Mary, Thanks so much for the kind comments on the image. I’ve been working hard on making sure my tones are in the right place; thanks for noticing! I’ve learned a lot from @David_Kingham in that arena. I look forward to seeing your images and leaning more. This is such a great place!

1 Like

Thanks, Dean for the warm welcome and kind comments. Looking forward to getting to know folks here and learning more.

Julia, I too want to welcome you to NPN. With a wonderful image like this, I look forward to your future posts as well. I ditto all of the accolades in the comments. I love the fog and mist and also applaud you for seeing and creating this image.

1 Like

Thank you, Larry! :blush: