Coastal Forms

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the composition of this image and, strangely enough, I like the warm color tones in the rock. I’ve tried it with a cooler WB and it doesn’t come off too well. I see minor issues with this image such as the bit of algae at the point and the ruffled sand near the top.

Creative direction

My intention was to create a two dimensional form of stone within a frame. I also wanted to make the viewer ‘feel’ the surface of the rock with their eyes. I guess I like all those cracks and circles and black dots arranged across the surface.

Specific Feedback

All input is requested. I haven’t seen any conceptual relationship in this image but I could be surprised.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, focus stacked

Description

This image was taken at a beach in Washington that is a Mecca for photographers for sunset sea stacks and arches. I was so overwhelmed by the unexpected amount of people that I turned away from the intended subject. I scoured the area for intimate composition and finally found this near the high tide line.

1 Like

I can certainly see why this small scene caught your attention, Igor. While the detail of the rock comes through, it is the soft feel and color of the rock that got my attention. Must admit, the bit of moss didn’t bother me as much as the brownish leaf peaking out at the point of the rock. It will be interesting to hear how others respond. I am glad you did turn away from the crowds and discovered this intimate place.

1 Like

I cloned that out for the print.

Yes, it has a bit of sensuality about it.

1 Like

I like this image a lot. As @linda_mellor mentioned, the softness of the rock and it’s color makes me feel peaceful. This stone held my attention for a long time and I keep coming back to discover more. The barnacles keep the interest and I like how they make kind of an S curve coming down the stone. The little dark seeds??? that are scattered around add curiosity. They are nicely separated and I love how they gather at the base of the stone in a straight line. I even find the cracks scattered through the stone interesting. I like how the tones of the rock and sand add a little contrast and also add to the peacefulness. The moss didn’t take away from the image, but I could live without it and the leaf which you said you took out for the print was a little bit of a distraction. I do feel the surface of the rock with my eyes!!! I hope you find a conceptual relationship with this image I think it’s wonderful. Oh, the bunched up sand doesn’t bother me at all. One of my many favorites of yours.

2 Likes

This is a really thought-provoking image to me, @Igor_Doncov. I enjoy looking at is as a bit of a “map” and imagine myself figuring out how to traverse this intriguing landscape. I think the tones of the image work very well.

Fascinating image. The soft color and the texture in this really attract me. But, I almost want to keep it at arm’s length and look at it as an abstract. It’s fun to look at in several different ways!
Lots of opposing feelings in this. The incredibly soft color vs the obvious hardness of the rock. The lines in the rock that make it feel alive. And those little dark things? What are they? Snails? There’s almost no size reference in this except for the barnacles.
Cool!!! I like it.

Those are periwinkle snails. These small snails live near the high tide line. Note how they have all moved down towards the sand or cracks where most of the moisture remains. The barnacles belong to a large species, much larger than what we normally encounter that look like entire beds that are ‘sprayed’ on the sides of a rock. These barnacles are each perhaps 1 inch in diameter.

@linda_mellor, @Donna_Callais, @GennyK, @jefflafrenierre

Thank you for your comments. Is it just my impression or has participation here at NPN dropped during the last month?

I printed this image and taped it to the wall and have to say it doesn’t have the staying power of some of the others next to it. I’ll keep it up a bit longer to see if there is a change in attitude. It could be that I’m just not in a receptive mood.

1 Like

I don’t know about you, Igor, but when I look at an image time and again, it always seems as though it looks different. Not necessarily better or worse, usually better. . . I think that is a good thing. As for participation here at NPN, I have definitely drop of the radar and will for the next month or so. Mostly due to travel and also impending eye procedures. But I also think, from my perspective, with all of the changes - which are good - it has been a bit of a challenge for me to keep up. I am still planning on participating, it will just have to be on a more limited bases, at least for the short term.

1 Like

Igor,

A wonderful found image - a terrific nature story for sure. The rock and sand provide a solid foundation, but it’s those little black snails, the cracks and barnacles too that make the story, and make this a more dynamic image; bringing life to the scene.

The colors and overall processing look great to me. Color wise, it’s of course open to interpretation and personal choice and experience from the scene… but I can certainly imagine this as quite natural and original.

Stepping back, my imagination tells me there’s a head of a sleeping crocodile in there… :slight_smile:

Periwinkle shells are my favorite! Funny, I’ve never made the correlation or knew of the snails, only their discarded houses… learn something new every day!

I know for sure that I’ve been rather absent for just about that length of time. Perhaps my annual cycle and certainly for me a reflection in the day-job and other life happenings. But I hope to get back to being more active. Starting with this post!

And glad you’re still posting and engaged!

1 Like