Coastal Woods

Those who live on the coast from central california to Alaska are familiar with this scene and probably feel some emotional connection. This was shot near Crescent City, an area known for it’s redwoods more than alders. I actually processed this twice, once with warmer hues and this one which comes closer to how things look in the fog. Hope you like it. If interested I can post the other one for comparison.

2 Likes

Igor, this does a fine job of showing how a moderate fogs seems to set the world aglow. The trunks add some good structure to the scene in the midst of all the lovely greens.

Hi Igor…what a beautiful mood. I think this color/WB is spot on and wouldn’t change it. The alternating but similar angles of the leaning trees is very effective, especially when contrasted with the upright trees on the right side. The “hotspot” in the upper central distance serves as a pleasant place to rest the eyes once traveling through the scene. The fractured tree hurts me a bit…it’s brightness and sharp angles distract me from an otherwise pleasant and quiet scene.

This is quite stunning! I love the strong lines of the tree trunks and the beautiful glow. Of course that green just suits this so well.

Igor,
The atmospherics with the fog help create the lovely mood in this scene and I love the glow as it gives the greens a wonderful lushness. It had to be magical just being there and soaking in the stillness of the forest. The busted tree does bother me a little, but not much you could do about it other than maybe burn down the brighter area. There is a limb in the LRC that could be cloned out. Beautiful image.

This image started out by a search for fractured trees. So the image was actually built around it. I guess it isn’t prominent enough to make the point. I thought it was at the time but now I’m having second thoughts.

Very beautiful image. It’s usually so difficult to get a good composition in such places because it’s all so chaotic. You did a great job of composing!

1 Like

Oh, coastal alders are always interesting, especially in the fog. This is a really great composition, with all the the angled trunks. The broken tree immediately caught my eye, and I take it to be the main subject of the scene. The broken trunk elevates this from a pretty scene to a scene with a larger story. :+1:

1 Like

Such a wonderful memory for me Igor. Had family from Crescent City and still have family living in Eureka. Foggy scenes always have such a mysteriously soft feel to them for me. This is a wonderful image. The leaning/fractured trees are so familiar to me, they are not an issue. Only wish I had been there.

1 Like

It’s always great when someone can relate of a personal level. My memories of these woods often include the sound of a thrush echoing through the foliage. You rarely saw the bird though.

This has a very soft and ethereal look and feel to it. I think the colors look they way they should and would not go any warmer. You’ve turned what is usually a very chaotic atmosphere in these forests into a sense of place. And…I love the redwood forests. Magical doesn’t even come close to describing these forests.

I would echo most of the above comments Igor, this is an excellent image. I happen to love Alders and we have tremendous stands of them on the north coast. If I had to nitpick, I’d prefer about a half stop darker image, and there is a small cluster of black twiggy growth on the left edge, just below the top, that slightly pulls my eye away from the lush and atmospheric center. The fractured tree works very well in my opinion.

Overall, beautiful.

A beautiful feel to this image, Igor. To me it just screams spring.