In the Beginning

This was an evening shot of the coastal redwoods in California. Just when you think it’s all over a thick mist comes in from the sea. Since the source of light is from the ocean side this always provides some great photographic opportunities. The problem is that the mist/fog doesn’t come every day and therefore you usually come back with nothing. But when it’s there, it’s quite a scene.

What do you think? I have tried a crop of this that centers around the two trees but the image becomes more iconic and less that of a forest scene. So I opted for this one.

GFX50R, 45-100mm,

5 Likes

Igor, maybe I am totally wrong. But I should take out the dark tree part on the right. it makes this nice image easier to enjoy .

2 Likes

Igor,

First thought is along the lines of the “iconic” - “sun beams streaking through the coastal fog in the CA redwoods…” I think you’re hard pressed to avoid that no matter how you crop this one! :slight_smile: It’s the simple nature of the scene that is being presented.

Having said that, I think your processing is what is working to avoid the classic, iconic look. I think the darker presentation is done well, and I don’t think I’m going too far on a limb to believe this is your intention - your processing and presentations are always purposeful. Now that is NOT to say predictable, because this image would break that mold and this is anything but standard.

I agree with Ben on this point. I understand your sentiment, but getting back to my thinking this is about the darker presentation and the cool tone. Cropping that tree on the right doesn’t necessarily move this image towards the classic composition, but is a matter of balance, I think.

The ONLY suggestion I have would be to de-saturate the very small pieces of the rich blue sky breaking through in the bg. It’s a situation where if the blue sky breaking through the fog were a big part of the story, this scene should be much brighter than it is. And since this is on the dark side and going for more mood, the tiny bits of blue sky, IMHO, don’t fit as well with the more somber mood of this. Not a huge thing though.

I actually really like this image - even without any changes. And it’s that darker mood that makes the difference for me.

Lon

Love this image Igor. Religious overtones here are unavoidable, even your title suggests so to me.

@Lon_Overacker, @Mario_Cornacchione, @Ben_van_der_Sande

Thank you for all your comments. I’ve made the changes you’ve recommended while keeping the composition as close as possible to the original. During the process I stumbled on another version by reducing the contrast, a more ‘benign’ version. What do you think of it? On the one hand it looks a bit more spiritual but on the other hand the darker version seems more mysterious. I went for the higher contrast originally because I thought the rays would be better defined but there is plenty definition in the less contrasty version.

Art related to this image:

Byzantine Mosaic:

William Blake’s 2 works:

Cezanne’s Nude Bathers:

Igor;
I totally understand your original photo/crop, as, and you did notice that, the proposed crop is, indeed, " less that of a forest scene".
It’s my favorite.

In the final analysis, there are many beautiful versions possible, almost an infinite number of tweaks we could give any image. I believe it dampens the “joy of photography” some to agonize over all of these variables. We could say that you kept all tones within a good dynamic range to please the Group f64 folks. Even if you let the shadows on the trunks drop to Zone 1 or 0, if this was the effect you wanted and that pleases you, then keep that one. I can find inspiration in either of the contrast options you have now presented. The photo draws the eyes quite well along the many diagonals of light bursting from behind the central trunk into the mysterious source of light we enjoy wondering about. Well done either way!

I’m partial to the revised, lower contrast version, but both are quite compelling for different reasons. Go with the one that says what you want to say.

@Lon_Overacker, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Mario_Cornacchione, @joaoquintela, @kerry4, @DeanRoyer, @joaoquintela

Thank you for your comments. I think I prefer the original image with the flawed composition over the revised one although I’m not sure why. I guess I prefer the imperfection without the perfect symmetry. I do slightly prefer the brighter version of the revised version though.

Igor, thank you for showing this Art related . It explains to me a new way to look at my images.

1 Like

Igor, I just read all the comments and I have a different view altogther, I have to say. The dark tree on the right doesn’t bother me in the slightest, it doesn’t distract me at all from the beams. What does, however, is the green foliage at the bottom of the image. Now, I would just crop that off and then in proportion the same on the left, to keep the 3:2 ratio. Anyway, that’s just my opinion, it seems, but I thought I’d share it with you all the same. I do like the general atmosphere of the photo a lot.
Grtz, Ingrid.

Thank you, Ingrid. I agree that the original is better than the cropped. The crop makes it simpler and more symmetrical and the reduction in complexity reduces interest in my opinion. I agree that the green is different in color and somewhat intrusive. I suppose in the perfect world it would not be there. Thank you for bringing it up. The question is whether it’s worth the effort of making the necessary changes.

I can see why you like the original crop, Igor. It works better with the story you are conveying. The slightly brighter version gives it a more ethereal feel. My only nit would be to either desaturate or clone out the green leaf in the blc; my eyes just keep wandering back to it. Love the image; it made me stop scrolling.