Cold Smoke at Tangled Creek

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We came across this magical scene in Yellowstone NP. The temps were well below 0degF which created this mist the locals call Cold Smoke. It didn’t last long so I had to work fast. I took a few images, and liked this one the best.

Specific Feedback

I like how it turned out, and I didn’t do much besides make a few local adjustments. I was wondering if something like Luminosity Masks would help enhance the image further.

Technical Details

Since I was shooting into the sun, I used manual mode and underexposed about 2 stops to avoid blown out highlights and fired off a 5 shot exposure bracket. I used Photoshop to combine into a single image. The image was shot at f/11 and ISO100. The shutter speeds were selected automatically by the bracketing and ranged from about 1/15s to 1/5000s.

6 Likes

Wow, this is so evocative Tom! A truly gorgeous B&W. It has such a surreal feeling and is beautifully composed and processed. Very impressive!

1 Like

Love this spot Tom! I shoot this location often, including one with the Milky Way. Never been there when it looked like this though. Really nice. I love the feeling of depth in this.

2 Likes

Man, this one must have been screaming for a b&w conversion. Sensational! I love the atmosphere and the subtle texture in the snow. My initial reaction was to consider cloning out the FG tree but the more I study the composition, the more important I think it is. It not only balances the image, but it’s interesting how it lines up with the shadows in the snow and points toward the light coming in from above. Really a wonderful image, Tom.

Hey Tom! This scene grabbed my attention immediately! What a surreal scene. Stark. Other worldly. Excellent composition. I like how you placed the tallest 2 trees, shooting up out of the frame near the right edge of the frame to be less conspicuous. I especially like the foreground graphics and balance using the 2 small snow mounds and the leaning tree, which also directs the viewer to the left, into the frame. The small winter stream pulls the viewer through the frame. But, consider that there was no need to hide the sun or try to diffuse the sun behind the spindly tree. All that was accomplished was to blow out part of the tree. Moving to the left or to the right to fully show the sun between two trees would preserve the tree and place the muted bright sun in an open space. That said, it is not a deal breaker and this is a remarkable moment in time, nicely captured. Good job!

I am late to the party on this image, Tom, but wanted to add that I think it’s lovely. I DO agree with Tony Sweet, however, that not trying to put the sun behind a tree would have been a great alternative. The overall mood of this, however, remains very strong and the composition has great depth to it. Well done!

1 Like

WOW! Magic light and atmosphere! A gorgeous and ephemeral scene and you did justice to it! I love the stark trees and the mist. Including the sun was a fantastic idea and the exposure bracket looks like it was the perfect idea!

1 Like

Thanks Bill. It was certainly a surreal scene, and I’m glad I was able to do it justice.

Thanks Paul. It was the first time I have been there. I’d like to go back someday, but I might be disappointed. :smirk: I was on a photo tour and the guide recognized what was happening and told us to move fast. The fog only lasted about 20-30 min. Right place, right time!

Thanks Bret. Yeah, there wasn’t much color that morning, so that decision (B&W) was easy. I did clone out a few small things in the foreground, but it is largely how I saw the scene.

Thanks for your feedback Tony. I was standing only a few feet from the stream with a 14mm lens, so that was as much as I could get into the scene with a single composition. I thought about trying to do something with tall trees in PS, but decided I liked it the way it was. My primary interest was the stream, and I didn’t notice the sun behind the tree until afterwards. Having it centered behind the tree makes it look intentional, but it was purely by accident. It was about -15degF, so I was moving fast and trying to a few different compositions.

I took this a few years ago before learning about things like Luminosity Masks. I’ve tried LMs a few times recently using the TK plugin, but I can’t say I completely understand when to apply them. I was thinking about revisiting this image to use LMs, but was wondering if you thought it would improve the image at all. It seems every time I try them, I spend (waste) a bunch of time and don’t see much improvement. Any guidance here is appreciated. Thanks!

Love it! I drove by there once early in the morning. It was lightly foggy and there were thousands of spider webs between the trees. They were covered in heavy dew and were stunningly backlit. I was rushing my son back to the lake where he’d left his fly fishing bag so we didn’t stop. I still regret not stopping! Thanks for this great image!

You know, Tom, I’ve tried just about everything and bottom line, it’s about what works best for you. There are many roads to processing. LMs are great and precise, but can be seen as complicated to some. Others, myself included, make ample use of the masking panel, selections, and standard adjustments; AI is beginning to incorporate into software like photoshop, Luminar, Radiant Photo, and more all the time. So. basically, if things aren’t working out for you one way, try another way. Consider leaving LMs alone for few days and try another way. The most important thing is to not get hung up on software. The pictures aren’t in the software. The pictures are in you already. You just have to find the best way for you to realize your vision.

1 Like

This tell a story! I like to composition and your bracketing worked well for you. The detail in the snow is fantastic and I like the shadows of the trees on the snow. A wall hanger.

1 Like

Really Beautiful. Perfect for Black and White. Your Tone and lighting is really nice. Great lines and contrast.

1 Like

Excellent tones with high contrast/ texture and low contrast/atmosphere in just the right places. I love looking at the stream and the snow mounds in the very foreground. So much wonderful detail! The leading line of the stream is winding and vanishing! The long shadows of the trees add dimension. And the smaller tree leaning to the left in the LRC provides and excellent counterpoint. Excellent composition (in the conditions as well!) and exposure… a great capture! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

This is just stunning Tom! Perfect candidate for B&W

1 Like

This is so surreal, it is hard to believe this moment really existed! I am impressed with the mood. How there is darkness on the left and light and all kinds of gradations in the rest of the image. To have captured this under time pressure is quite the achievement. Great work, Tom.

1 Like

Stunningly beautiful! Fantastic!

1 Like

Congratulations on the EP! This is so beautiful and stunning. The starkness of the bare trees against the softness of the snowy ground is cool, and the sun where you placed it is great. This must have been a challenge and you really achieved your goal!

1 Like