Yellowstone Winter

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This scene intrigued me as the path made its’ way over the small incline. Fog and snowy conditions are really enjoyable. Especially the fog ! (I’m from New Mexico…)

Any pertinent technical details:

Olympus EM-5 Mark II
40-150 f/2.8 @ 40mm
1/800 @ f/8, ISO 200

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Keith, this is really a beautiful composition in BW. The use of the path to lead the viewer into the fog is very well done. Only one nit, the tree branch crowding the left edge of the image is catching my eye a bit but that is very minor. Nice work!

The path makes for some wonderful lead in line and cutting that off with the crest adds a bit of mystery to the scene; making me wonder what is over that hill. The fog and snow are wonderful as is the B&W conversion, Keith. My only suggestions would be a bit more canvas on the left side so that the tree branch was not crowded and cropping out that bit of white sky showing between the two trees on the right. This is a lovely image.

There is a feeling about fresh snow that this image captures perfectly. There’s a freshness, a cleanliness about it. Remember the old commercials for Zest, the soap. It’s the perfect word for soap because it conveys how the manufacturer wants you to think about it;s product. That’s how I feel about this image. It’s an image of snow but it’s the zest it implies that I like about it.

1 Like

Keith,

Terrific eye and recognition of the potential here. The lead-in of the path culminating in the apparent drop-off in to the abyss creates an great impact. An excellent story being told here. B&W also very effective here. No nits or suggestions. Beautifully seen!

Lon

This is excellent, Keith. Nothing like B&W rendering of fresh snow, Composition and processing look great. I could see cropping a bit off the top to eliminate the gap between the trees in the upper right frame edge. That area is a bit bright and tends to pull the eye up.

What a delightful scene Keith. I love the purity of it and your composition makes it all the more inviting.