Photographers Tree in Yellowstone

Went looking for wildlife but ran into this solitary tree that I couldn’t resist photographing

Brightened it up, corrected the vignetting issue and the somewhat distracting tiny shrub in the bottom left - middle

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any different aesthetic look ?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Shot handheld with the D5 / 180-400 Nikon combo

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

I love the starkness of it and causing it to be in B&W really works for me. I would not change a thing if it were mine.

1 Like

A gorgeous B&W winter scene Karl. Where are the wolves ? :wink:

This image has an elegant simplicity, I love it. Your composition has a great placement of the hills relative to each other, it creates a nice visual flow in the image. Processing looks great too.

My only suggestion would be to clone away the two tufts of grass in the lower left corner, they compete slightly with the photographers tree.

1 Like

Simple, elegant and very beautiful. Perfect image for BW rendering. Composition and processing look good to me. Nice work.

1 Like

For a composition, I’m not sure there’s anything missing or I could add to make this any better. The flowy stair-step hills in the background are just fantastic. A textured sky - This is beautiful! I personally don’t mind the tufts and think they help provide a bit of foreground interest. My taste would prefer a little more white to the snow, so would push the white point in a curves or levels adjustment, or brighten the scene in its entirety but again, that’s a matter of taste and not really a critique. Just a very enjoyable shot!

2 Likes

I love the composition and b&w processing. This scene is perfect for b&w. My only nit is that I think the vignetting in the lower corners could be a little more feathered. It seems a little abrupt of a transition as it is.

1 Like

This is a wonderful minimalist landscape shot. I love the sense of scale between the tree and the height of the hills. The flowing curves on those hills are great. Black and white is the right choice. I only noticed the vignetting after it was mentioned, but I wouldn’t change a thing. Nice work!

1 Like

Really lovely composition. The layers of curves contrast well with the stark tree. I, too, like all the little tufts of grass. I also agree that the snow could be a tad brighter and the vignette a tad more subtle. Those are nits, though - this is well done.

1 Like

Thanks Craig - I think the vignetting is a lens issue - I have corrected it now

The sweeping lines of the hills are a strong backdrop for that lone tree. I prefer the edited version; the improvements work well.

1 Like

Hi @Karl_Zuzarte , in my opinion is a good shot. Well balanced composition and a beautiful post processing. Regarding vignette, i would try to add it to bring the eye in the frame. Thanks for sharing.