Yellowstone Fog

What technical feedback would you like if any? Open to anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Open to anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@arkansas_explorer

##### You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I love foggy scenes but they are often hard to photograph due to how quickly they change. This day in Yellowstone the light beams going through the treeline caught my eye. I’m not honestly looking to make any changes to the image but I’m just curious what others think or maybe something they would have done differently.

1 Like

Bobby, as this was taken in basically my “second home,” the scene looks familiar–foggy drives through Hayden and along the north rim of the lake as the sun is rising are always memorable–and I’m quite fond of what you’ve done here.

I think my only change might be to crop off the left where the row of solid dark trees ends and you have that lone pine. I like how you have the trees peeking up in the right corner, and then the dark shadows cutting through from there to the left. But I feel the frame should end where that dark line ends… the opening in the tree line on the left edge sort of breaks up the pattern and–to me–causes a bit of an abrupt distraction. I think tightening it up from the left will emphasize the balance between the dark shadow line and the tree tops in the upper right even more effectively.

Max

1 Like

Spectacular conditions, with wonderful mood and drama. I think your B&W processing looks great, and is a perfect choice for this scene/light. From a composition standpoint, my only nit is that in my subjective opinion, the dark negative space in the lower left quadrant is not adding a lot to the image. I might consider a couple alternate crops. One is a square crop of the right half of the image as presented. The other would be to a panoramic crop that eliminates a good amount of the dark spac in the LLC. This image has a wonderful mood, i think it’s worth pondering some alternate crops to create even more impact.

2 Likes

Nice as is, but I think I would crop off the left side and just keep a square or vertical crop of the right hand side.:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

I don’t know how I missed this image. This is a really interesting image. But something doesn’t feel quite right. I think the issue is the dark blacks. Yet that’s what makes this composition unique. Nevertheless I would try to raise some of the blacks rather than do any cropping.

1 Like

I am not sure if I would be recommending cropping this image. The “black” strip that runs through the center of the image looks like trees (they are shadow of the trees behind) and it works really well for me. It looks complete and balanced. This image simply works for me. Beautiful work, Bobby!

1 Like

Yea, I actually considered the same thing when I first processed the image. I’ll probably revisit that though. Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you and everyone for the feedback.