Fogalicious Trees

Another foggy woodland shot from last Saturday. Thanks for all who have commented on my previous posts.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single raw image, ISO 100, 21mm, handheld.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I can see why you spent so much time on this. The branches have a sort of haunting look to them. I think the grass vs the darkness doesn’t work well here. Either darken the grass a bit or lighten that dark area.

I thought I’d burned the grass down more than that. Looks different on my phone than my computer. Must be time to break out the monitor calibration device.

Took 5 edits and exports to get something I like ok. The exports just don’t look the same as the original in LR.

1 Like

Or perhaps a different version all together?

Another nice moody image. I like your first rework, but still don’t think it’s quite there. I tried a ham handed attempt at lightening the dark a little more, but was unsuccessful, so didn’t post it. Still a very nice shot.
:vulcan_salute:

The first rework where the band of dark grass has been lifted up a little bit works the best for me. My thinking is along the line of @Michael_Lowe. It’s a little too dark for my taste.

Bradley,

Your repost works much better for me. The LLC in the original just didn’t look or feel right, natural. Much better in the 2nd.

This may also be by personal choice and preference, but I’m wondering if this could go lighter? I know great mood is created on the darker side, and I of course wasn’t there and don’t have any reference to the time of day. ie. perhaps if this was late in the day and sun was down, of course it would be getting darker… Morning, midday in fog might produce a brighter scene. Certainly as presented the tree are mysteriously wonderful with the fog nicely balanced, creating great mood and atmosphere.

Lon

I love fog and I love trees, but somehow the effect is fleeting here. I definitely don’t like the dark area above the grass line. I think the repost is an improvement, but there’s still something that I can’t put my finger on, that is throwing this off. Maybe go all in on b/w and lose the green all together. The conditions are really good.