Comet Neowise at Nauset Light, MA

Comet Neowise in perspective - at Nauset Light in Eastham on the Cape in Massachusetts, USA
What started out as a promising night and hence the 1.5 hour drive to it, fizzled into a cloudy and soon foggy one. But I did get a couple of shots in

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Open

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
70 mm, 4 secs, ISO 4000, F 2.8

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

EDIT - Yes I agree with @svetlana - the light hs lights are too bright . I corrected this as well as decreased saturation and increased the brightness of the stars - hopefully better now

2 Likes

Hi Karl, love interaction between the comet and the light house. The light on the lighthouse feels a little too bright.

This is a really nice composition, it is very nicely balanced. The inclusion of the lighthouse and building make for a very dynamic foreground for the comet. My only nit from a composition standpoint is that I wish there was slightly more breathing room under the buildings, you might be able to add 3% or so via Content Aware Fill, since it’s in shadow CAF should work well.

I think the lighthouse was slightly too bright. But the rework crushed the highlights in the lighthouse and building / trees, I think you went too far reducing luminosity there, it looks too flat now in the LRC. In the rework I do like the crop to make the comet appear larger, and I like that you dodged the comet and stars, the dodging creates more impact. I might also consider burning the midtones in the sky with the yellow clouds, this will also place more emphasis on the comet.

Here is a rework of the original with my stab at it, coming close to the crop of your rework.

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk - I knew I messed up when I tried to “correct” . I should have started from scratch. And your re-do is simply fantastic - I will be writing to you separately

I would eliminate the lighthouse entirely. The comet is not prominent enough for this to be about the comet. I would therefore crop more and enhance the comet (i’ve done a bad job with the tail). The ones I’ve like have the comet on the warm side, looking like a fireball.

1 Like

Didnt think of it that way - thanks @Igor_Doncov - exposure would have been so much easier. I had to time the light rotation

Great concept and excellent execution too. I do agree with @Ed_McGuirk on the bottom being tight. I don’t think the light is too bright; actually, I like it as is. I do think the comet itself needs to emphasised more however. I like Igor’s enhancement of it , even though he says he did a bad job with it. I didn’t look at it closely, but I like the enhanced color even though it may be a bit on the bright side. Regardless of your final iteration, you captured a great image.