Common Field Grasshopper (+revised)

Revised Version

Revision 1 (latest)

What changed: Background leaf and highlights darkened - the dew and other brighter bits I’ve left as the hopper was poking out into the sun and the bright light on head was all natural

Added after receiving feedback from the community.


Original Version

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic + Technical

About This Image

Another in my exploration of the garden - the reason I take macro is to see things I’ve never seen in detail that blows my mind. This chap hopped past me and seemed chilled.

As I developed the image I researched the 2 different types of eyes, one compound a - and the light detecting membranes (lateral foveolae) The colours and pattens on the skin are amazing too.

Hand held photo stack - 7 images
Then DXR PR and Zerene
Finally into PS

Feedback Requested

Getting better at this .

Comments and pointers appreciated.
Usual stuff about composition, distractions etc welcome

Technical Details

Camera: A7v
Lens: 100 GM macro and 2xTC
Focal length: 200
Shutter speed: 1/250
Aperture: f/20
ISO:6400
Flash: yes 1/32

Huw: Looks like you’re off to a great start with your new rig. I’m impressed with the quality of the stack, especially that you were hand held. Marvelous details in the hopper and overall I like the BG. I might be tempted to burn down some of the brighter areas in the BG leaf, make the leaf peeking into the frame on the left go away and perhaps make the OOF brown stem in the BG disappear as well. The most distracting of these for me is the bright leaf, the other changes would be no big deal. Nice find and a great capture. >=))>

The original poster added a revised version of their image.

Excellent work, particularly for a handheld stack, Huw. I’ve heard of that technique but doubt my steadiness to attempt it. If I can get flat on the ground, I’ll use the auto focus bracketing, but just hand holding is a bit much. I like the revision as it does a nice job of subduing that leaves.

1 Like