Confusion and Enlightenment

First, some back ground on the image. I went for a hike in Point Lobos in search of some peace. Two days before, the store I work in was robbed at gunpoint and one of my coworkers shot (he is doing well).

While hiking the Cypress Grove trail I was struck by the confusion of the twisted trunks and branches of the trees that cling to the granite outcrops exposed to wind and weather. Seeking a composition that would make sense of the madness I was reminded of what is known as the Mandala Principle, that existence is orderly chaos. Bringing order to the chaos, light to the darkness seemed to be the mood for the day as I worked through the turmoil of my own feelings.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Alister Benn in one of his excellent podcasts, asks the question and I paraphrase, do we carry our perceptions into the field with us when we go out to create? In this case I would have to say yes, at some level my creativity was swayed by what I had been through. Perhaps that is why I placed the sunburst and some emphasis on the light coming through the trees. An attempt to cut through the chaos and offer an expression of hope.

Technical Details

Canon R5 with RF 24-105/4L
Tripod
ISO 100, 1/60 sec., f/14
HDR merge in lightroom, luminosity masking and some dodging/burning

1 Like

Paul,

If I’m not mistaken, this is your first post here in the Landscape gallery? Welcome! And welcome to NPN!

Outstanding and beautiful first post here. I’m sorry for the trauma you went through and certainly glad your coworker is ok. I think this image is pretty clear that I believe you found some solice in the hike, but also in the scene and image you produced.

I must say, this has gotta be the cleanest sunstar I’ve seen! Some might find them cliche - much like ghostly, silky water from long exposures… but I don’t - like anything, any image, some times classic is just a wonderful thing.

The light is striking and this cypress tree so very, very expressive. I was just there a month ago - in fact my wife and I were there the day before the park ended up closing Jan 5th from the first of many storms to hit. We were there for the aftermath in the area. Anyway, I was unable to return as I wanted to get on the cypress trail. Anyway… I’m glad you have shared this image and your story.

I think you succeeded with this. I’m not sure if on purpose, but I’ve long since been one who thinks the “rule of thirds” is a strong compositional tool - and this is a great example of that.

The only constructive feedback I have was that my initial impression was along the lines of maybe too much clarity/texture in processing - and then I read later an HDR merge. Now I am NOT an expert or have any experience in HDR, but I do know that processing these has come a long, long way, but after learning that, it coincides with my thought of a little too much clarity/texure. But after looking at the large view a number of times, I must say things looks pretty dang good!

Love the image. And thanks for the Mandala Principle reference. Always something to learn and grown with - so thanks for that. For certain, you’ve created some order from chaos.

Lon

Wow, Paul, that is one cool sunstar. I love the long, fine rays. I also really like the composition here. It works quite nicely. I do think the right side could be brightened up some to balance out. I also can see a bit of a crop off the right to pull the tree more to the right of the scene. Those are minor things though. Welcome to the landscape area.

Lon and David, Thank you for the feedback and kind words.

Sunstars being unique to different lenses, I have to say that so far I am impressed with the Canon RF optics and this is one characteristic of this lens I will have to keep in mind. As far as sunstars being cliché, as a visual story teller I find them useful. One more tool in my quiver so to speak. I do not believe having a sunstar in an image any more than silky water blur makes an image fine art, but if it contributes to the story, mood or composition go for it. Many of the images I produce are for editorial or teaching purposes and cliches are often what get the attention.

HDR is again just another tool available to photographers. I do not like to overuse it, but it works for some situations with extreme dynamic range. I also thought before I posted that perhaps I had taken one step too far in the processing. Sometimes when I post images online subtle nuances tend to be lost so I decided to just go with it. Give me some time and I will figure out what works best on NPN.

As landscape photographers we are often faced with trying to create order out of chaos. Sometimes succeeding, sometimes not. And then there are times we must let go and embrace the chaos.

Many years ago I was involved with a martial arts group that gave no belts. The philosophy was that we were all there to learn and all had something to contribute. One of the reasons I have returned to NPN after almost 10 years is for my own growth as a photographer and if I can teach anyone else or help them grow along the way it helps with my journey.

2 Likes

I really like how crisp everything in this image appears, and as an aficionado of a good, well-placed sunstar, tip of the cap to a fine one here. Thanks for sharing to backstory to this image. I’m looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Paul, thank you for the response and dialogue. It’s important we also get to hear context, which sometimes we lose when comment/critiquing images.

Absolutely agree.

No worries. You’ll find a wide range of image size and quality being posted - and all for various reasons, intentional or otherwise… :slight_smile: No doubt you’ll find your sweet spot.

Thought the name rang a bell. Exactly what NPN is searching for - those who not only want to grow - but also teach and mentor along the way. Glad to have you back.