Cooper's Hawk Portrait

Description:

The immature Cooper’s hawk hung around most of the day and I was able to carefully approach it and get a sharp image with the 600mm f4. Most of the bird was obscured by branches and was able to isolate the head with a very large crop (70% cropped away). I was inspired by Keith Bauer’s mega crop of a red crossbill and decided to give it a try.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 600mm f4 (1/320 sec at f8, ISO 640) Heavy crop, Levels, Dodged lower part of iris on eye, Topaz DeNoise, Topaz Adjust for microcontrast. Lighting was very flat so some of the feather texture was not apparent. Off camera flash might have helped, but it would have frightened the hawk. I used the edge of our garage for cover and she did not feel threatened by my presence. And that’s why I used the crop…Jim
Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A gorgeous and noble image here, Jim. The detail is wonderful… :+1:

1 Like

The crop looks good. These birds of prey have such intense eyes. Very well done.

1 Like

A nice portrait; excellent facial detail.

1 Like

This is real nice! I like the pose, detail, and high key qualities.

1 Like

Beautiful portrait, Jim. The immature Sharpies and Coopers that come by here are usually surprisingly accommodating, though it always pays to start out very slowly. I usually poke the lens out one of the porch doors. Excellent detail in this image.

1 Like

I love portraits and this one is wonderful, with fantastic detail!

1 Like

As the rest have said, Jim, a wonderful portrait of this hawk. I am amazed at the details you captured in him. What an intense stare! He must have had his eye on dinner! :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Jim, I really like this crop. I’m not much of an avian shooter, but this doesn’t look like photos I’ve seen before. I like the almost white background with just a hint of texture. Good eye to find this image within the much larger full frame!

1 Like