Fresh Catch

This Cooper’s Hawk is enjoying a bird he caught in my yard. I don’t know what kind of bird, but know it was a bird by the feathers that flew as he plucked them. I had to work around to get a clear shot of him, but he paid little attention to me maneuvering below him as he enjoyed his meal.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 180mm, f/5.6, 1/6000 sec., ISO 1600. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping, Topaz De-noise applied.

So wonderful to get images like this from your yard, Terry. Nicely done. I like the intensity of the eye.

A good capture Terry, the exposure against the sky is never easy. The tree branch does dominate a bit, maybe tighten the crop at the bottom and sides of the frame.

Always nice to catch action like this. You are very fortunate in your neck of the woods to have so much wildlife. This was a tough exposure and I don’t know if you can decrease some of the highlights and increase the contrast on the whole bird. I might also cut back a little on the red saturation. But I would be happy with this one.

Hi Terry
The shot was worth the effort. Great head and eye contact.
Peter

I guess the hawk was only willing to share a photo for you. I think you did well with difficult lighting and shadows…Jim

@Jim_Zablotny @David_Bostock @peter @David_Schoen @Ryan_H Thanks, guys for all your comments and suggestions.

Excellent job getting a mostly clear view, Terry. The focus looks very good, but I think you could bring down the brightness on the sunlit parts of the hawk just a bit as it looks slightly washed out.

1 Like

You have created your own wildlife preserve, and do credit to the creatures there! If you haven’t already, you might try pushing the Highlights slider down a bit more. Hard to know what it can do as the lighting was obviously challenging.

1 Like