Cooper's Hawk

Always nice to come across a hawk in the open like this.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I would wish for a better sky, but it was a cloudy day- not much I could do. I did play around with sky replacement in PS, but every one of them looked artificial and make the hawk look as if it was stuffed and on display in a museum of natural history. I did overexpose to get a more proper exposure for the bird, but even so, given the conditions, I don’t think I lost any detail in the sky. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 500 mm; 1/500 at f7.1, +1 1/3 EV; ISO 250

Hi Allen
I am not a fan of replacing backgrounds, but I can see why you might give it a try. The Hawk is very cool. The coloring , head turn with great eyes contact make this photograph.
Peter

1 Like

Hi Allen, great catch of a magnificent bird. I love the way the branches frame the bird. Well done. As for the sky, the only thing I can think of would be to select the sky, maybe via color, and then hit it with a color balance to pull more blue into it…or something like that…the sky can be a real stickler…not a deal breaker in this one though as it’s all very uniform and not a distraction at all.

1 Like

This is a great catch of the beautiful hawk, Allen. My only small suggestion would be to make the branch to the right of the bird’s shoulder a bit less “foggy”. The plain sky adds to our focus on the bird as centre of attention, I think. Well done.

1 Like

Those featureless, gray skies are always problematic, aren’t they? A terrific look at this bird, though and a nice perch to display him on. Details are great.

1 Like